BA/BFA in Dance
Dance majors choose to emphasize in either Ballet or Modern Dance, but receive a thorough understanding of the world of dance. The goal of the department is to prepare students for careers in performance, choreography, private instruction, and for entrance into master of fine arts (MFA) programs.
Webster University's Department of Dance offers a broad spectrum of concert dance forms:
- the exploration of the inherent traditionalism of classical ballet
- the risk-taking avant-garde flavor of modern dance
- the wonderful theatricality of jazz and tap
Many on-campus opportunities exist for Dance majors to perform, such as the Webster University Dance Ensemble, the performance company for the department that produces a major concert each March and participates annually in the Regional American College Dance Festival, as well as BFA Concerts.
Acceptance to the Department of Dance as a degree-seeking student is by audition. There is no audition required for a dance minor. Auditions are held on campus throughout the year and conducted in the form of a class. The class will consist of ballet and modern techniques. It is preferable that applicants have a solid background in ballet. Each dancer must wear a leotard and tights and be prepared to work in ballet, modern, and perhaps jazz. To request an audition, please complete the audition request form.
Partnerships with World-Class Cultural Institutions:
- Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis are located on campus and perform in the Loretto-Hilton Center for the Performing Arts.
- The Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra and Dance St. Louis collaborate with Webster on curriculum as well as productions.
- Webster is the only American university that has a partnership with the internationally-acclaimed Vienna Academy of Fine Art.