Driver's License | MCISA | Webster University

Driver's License

Department of Motor Vehicles

International Driver's License or State ID

If you are studying in the US for a short period of time, such as Study Abroad for a 9 week term, it may be best for you to get an International Driver's License before you leave your home country. Please take the time to research this option before you leave (all of them require that you obtain them in your home country). *Each country has different requirements so we cannot provide a helpful and general link.


In every state there is a department that issues driver licenses and non-driver identification (state identification) cards for residents of that State. A driver's license gives you permission to drive in your state of residence and also serves as an official identification card. The non-driver identification or state ID card is only issued for official identification purposes and not for driving. It is good to have a state ID for legal identification for banking, travelling domestically or proving your age (at locations that require age verification).

Sample Missouri IDs

How to Apply for a Driver's License or State ID

Before students can attain a driver's license and drive in the United States, they may be required to first obtain an instruction permit (learner's permit). A learner’s permit will be issued after the applicant takes and passes written and vision tests. With a learner’s permit, individuals may drive only when an adult licensed driver is in the vehicle with them.

Before students apply for a driver’s license or ID they need to be aware of the following:

  • The student’s SEVIS record must be in Active status to apply for the driver’s license or state ID. Students may contact International Recruitment and International Services to confirm that their SEVIS record is active.
  • Students must wait at least ten (10) calendar days from their date of entry into the United States before applying for a driver’s license or state ID to allow the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to transmit their arrival data information to the state’s licensing office.
  • Students must wait at least two (2) business days from the activation date of their SEVIS record to apply for a driver’s license or state ID to ensure that their active status has been updated in all government relevant databases.
  • Non-Driver's License (State ID) does not require any testing, but does require all the same documentation listed below.

Study for the Exams (Written and Road Tests)

MO Driver's Guide

The Missouri Driver's Guide is available to review online at

Required Documents

In general, every state will require these main documents to issue a driver’s license or state identification (ID) card:

  • Valid Passport with valid visa (if applicable)
  • I-94 card or a printout of electronic I-94 admission record (available from I-94 Admission Number Retrieval)
  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 (SEVIS record must be active)
  • A letter from the school issued within 30 days showing verification that you are a current student. You can submit Letter Request Form online or indicate you need this letter at the time of Immigration Check In on campus.
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card (Form I-766), if on post-completion OPT
  • Social Security Number or proof of ineligibility for Social Security Number from the Social Security Administration Office (NOTE: this is a separate government office, see Social Security Number webpage.)
  • Form I-797, “Notice of Action,” only needed in cases of a pending change of status (e.g., if your visa status is changing from F-1 to H-1B)
  • Proof of residency

Proof Of Residency

Present one of the most recent documents below:

  • Utility bill (phone, water, gas, electric, cable etc.)
  • Bank statement
  • Housing rental/lease agreement of your current residence etc.
  • For on campus residents, to request a proof of residency letter, please email with the your name, ID number and room assignment. Housing and Residential Life will respond when the letter is ready to be picked up at the West Hall office. Letter requests may take 3-5 business days to issue.

Learning To Drive

Student Driver

For first time drivers, you can hire a driving school for lessons. Most driving schools provide a vehicle for practice and for students to take the driving test at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Please visit our Local Resource Guide for more information on driving schools in the local area.

Please note that Webster University does not provide a vehicle for the driving test. Students are responsible for finding a vehicle to use for the test.

Required Documents for Accompanying Dependents (Spouse or Children)

An accompanying dependent who applies for a driver’s license or state ID should present supporting personal status documentation as well as status documentation of the primary status holder. Sometimes DMV offices have difficulty when verifying dependents. The best way to alleviate this problem is for dependents to do the following:

  • Always go to the DMV office with the primary (F-1 or J-1) status holder

Bring the following paperwork:

  • The primary and dependent’s most current Form I-94 or a printout of your electronic I-94 admission record available from I-94 Admission Number Retrieval
  • The primary and dependent’s valid passport with visa (when applicable)
  • Proof of identity (per state requirements)
  • Proof of relationship (e.g., marriage certificate)
  • The primary and dependent’s most current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 (This is critical when the primary F-1 is on OPT)
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD) if on post-completion OPT (for F only)

To Apply

Bring all of the required documents to a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Office. You must have ALL of the documents listed above or they will not be able to issue a Driver's License or State ID card for you.



Alternate Missouri License Office located at: 

111 Concord Plz Shopping Center
Saint Louis, MO 63128

Services by appointment only. Click here to schedule online.


The location of the closest Department of Motor Vehicles location to the Webster Groves campus is:

Maplewood License Office, Department of Motor Vehicles
3238 Laclede Station Rd.
Maplewood, MO 63143-0000

DMV Maplewood Location Map

 * We strongly recommend visiting this location, as they are most familiar with Webster University international students.

Do You Need Transportation to the Department of Motor Vehicles?

The MCISA offers periodic trips on request. Please use our online sign up form to request transportation from the MCISA Graduate Assistant. 

If you have any questions about when the next trip will be, please contact the MCISA Graduate Assistant at 314-246-6920.

Need Transportation to DMV?