Minor in Dance Theory
Dance minors receive a thorough understanding of the world of dance. The goal of the department is to prepare students for careers in performance, choreography and private instruction.
Webster University's Department of Dance offers a broad spectrum of concert dance forms:
- the exploration of the inherent traditionalism of classical ballet
- the risk-taking avant-garde flavor of modern dance
- the wonderful theatricality of jazz and tap
There is no audition required for a dance minor. Auditions are held on campus throughout the year and conducted in the form of a class. The class will consist of ballet and modern techniques. It is preferable that applicants have a solid background in ballet. Each dancer must wear a leotard and tights and be prepared to work in ballet, modern, and perhaps jazz. To request an audition, please complete the audition request form.
Partnerships with World-Class Cultural Institutions:
- Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis are located on campus and perform in the Loretto-Hilton Center for the Performing Arts.
- The Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra and Dance St. Louis collaborate with Webster on curriculum as well as productions.
- Webster is the only American university that has a partnership with the internationally-acclaimed Vienna Academy of Fine Art.
The following apply to all minors:
- A minor must be comprised of 18 credit hours taken at Webster University.
- No course counted toward a major can also count toward a minor.
- Students may have a major and a minor within the same department; they may not major and minor within the same area of emphasis.
- Students must earn a grade of C- or better in any course they wish to apply toward a minor.