Gorloks to Face Kean in Championship Opener May 24
The NCAA III National Championship runs from May 24-28, with games played at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium, in Appleton, Wisconsin.
ST. LOUIS, MAY 23, 2013 - The nationally 12th-ranked Webster University baseball team plays Kean University (N.J.) in the final contest on day one of the NCAA III Baseball Championship, better known as World Series, on May 24 at 7:45 p.m., in Appleton, Wis.
While some of the favorites from recent Series did not make the finals this year, it is a formidable field that the Gorloks (36-10) will have to conquer to bring home Webster's first NCAA championship.
The series runs from May 24-28, with games played at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium, in Appleton. Gorlok fans can follow the action in the Tournament through online videostream and live stats(use ID number 15B29852A7 to log on).
A quick look at the other seven teams participating in the double elimination format tournament:
- University of Southern Maine (42-8) won national titles in 1991 and 1997, and is making its seventh trip to the finals and first since 2001. The 14th ranked Huskies won 9-0 over Endicott College (MA) in the Harwich (MA) Regional final.
- Kean University is making its sixth appearance in the finals and third consecutive trip to Appleton. Kean (38-11) won the title in 2007. The 10th ranked Cougars win 6-1 over Keystone College (Pa.) in the Moosic (Pa.) Regional final.
- Ithaca College (N.Y.), NCAA champs in 1980 and 1988, is making its 12th trip to the finals and first since 1994. Ithaca (38-6) earned its berth in the finals with a 4-2 win over Cortland State (N.Y.) in the Auburn (N.Y.) Regional championship. The Bombers are ranked 7th.
- Linfield College (Ore.) is making its third appearance in the Series. The #1 ranked Wildcats (38-7) return to Appleton for the first time since 2010 and earned their berth with a 3-1 victory over Trinity University (Texas) in the Austin Texas Regional.
- Wisconsin-Stevens Point (39-9) is located just 65 miles west of Appleton. Stevens Point is making its fifth appearance in the finals and first since 2010. The 16th ranked Pointers won the Whitewater (WI) Regional with a 1-0 victory over Case Western Reserve (OH).
- Manchester University (Ind.) defeated two-time defending champ, Marietta College, 8-5, in the title game of the Terre Haute (Ind.) Regional. The 9th ranked Spartans (39-5-1) are making their second trip to Appleton; the first was in 2004.
- Millsaps College (Miss.) won the Millington (Tenn.) Regional. The Majors (38-12), ranked 23rd, won the regional with a walk-off, single in the bottom of the ninth.