Webster University Participates in Give STL Day
Webster University is one of 500 St. Louis-Area Nonprofits to Benefit from the First-Ever, 24-hour Community-Wide Online Giving Initiative
ST. LOUIS (MAY 5, 2014) - The May 6 Give STL Day team is set, with more than 500 nonprofits, along with thousands of their volunteers and community backers. All stand ready to see what St. Louis can give in a day, as the Greater Saint Louis Community Foundation prepares to host Give STL Day, the region’s first-ever 24-hour online day of giving to benefit the local nonprofit community.
Webster University is one of the organizations that the community can give to during the day-long charitable event. To spice the challenge up, Webster University Trustee Gene Toombs and his wife Judy have generously offered a $10,000 matching gift challenge for Give STL Day donors.
“Give STL Day is an opportunity for our community to shine and contribute to the local nonprofits that do so much good in our area, while also providing these organizations with a visible platform from which they can spread their message and raise funds,” said Amelia Bond, president and CEO of the Greater Saint Louis Community Foundation. “Collectively, Give STL Day draws attention to the needs of St. Louis nonprofits, as well as the positive things they are doing throughout the community. It’s a win-win for everyone.”
To contribute, visit GiveSTLday.org and search for Webster University or any other charitable organization of your choice. Donations will be accepted online, starting at $10. Contributions will be added to the ongoing leaderboard located on the website and results tracked throughout the day. In addition, status updates – including giving challenges and six scheduled “Power Hours” – will be promoted on Facebook (facebook.com/stlouisgives) and Twitter (twitter.com/StLouisGives). Webster University, also will be Tweeting (@websteru) as well as promoting through Facebook (facebook.com/websteru). During “Power Hours” all donations received will be matched dollar for dollar up to $10,000.
Webster University Trustee Toombs and his wife also have announced their own $10,000 matching gift challenge for Give STL Day donors. Every gift designated to Webster University on May 6, 2014 will be matched dollar for dollar by Gene and Judy Toombs up to $10,000. As an added bonus, Webster University students and young alumni (graduates 2004-2014) will have their gifts matched 2:1 as part of the challenge.
Similar fundraising initiatives are being undertaken the same day by approximately 100 community foundations nationwide, meaning May 6 could be one of the nation’s largest giving events in history. Previous “give day” events in other communities have raised millions for their local nonprofits. Examples include: Columbus, Ohio ($10 million), Pittsburgh, PA ($8 million) and Dallas ($25 million) to name a few.
Joining the Community Foundation with support for Give STL Day are Boeing, US Bank, Peabody Energy, and Smith Moore.
Give STL Day will also help usher in the 2015 centennial of the Greater Saint Louis Community Foundation. The nation’s first community foundation was established in Cleveland, Ohio in 1914, and the Greater Saint Louis Community Foundation was created the following year. Today, there are more than 800 community foundations across the country, and nearly 1,500 worldwide.
Throughout its history, the Greater Saint Louis Community Foundation has served as an unbiased resource with unparalleled knowledge about the needs of both donors and the organizations they support. On behalf of its donors, the Community Foundation annually donates approximately $20 million to more than 450 organizations in St. Louis and around the world, and has contributed about $225 million over the past 25 years. For more information on the Greater Saint Louis Community Foundation, please visit www.stlgives.org.
- News & Events Home
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- Contact Media Relations Experts
- Webster Today
- Admissions Statistics
- Fast Facts PDF
- Stroble Encourages Women’s Conference Attendees to ‘Join the Table’
- Freshman Preview Day 2/17/14
- Summer Registration
- Webster Men Gain SLIAC Basketball Championship Berth
- Functionality Test
- Alumnus Receives Assistant Attorney General Award
- Webster University Names Scott Kilgallon Director of Athletics
- Psychology Professor Linda Woolf Guides Adoption of American Psychological Association’s New Anti-Torture, Pro-Human Rights Policy
- Webster University’s Animation Program Ranked in National List
- Webster University Participates in Give STL Day
- Gorloks Finish Perfect 26-0 in SLIAC
- Webster University Chess Team Co-Hosts First Tournament for Local Schools
- Webster University Baseball Ascends to Top of d3baseball.com Poll
- Webster University’s Walker School Honors AT&T Chairman & CEO Randall Stephenson
- Gorloks Capture Fifth Straight SLIAC Title
- A World Class Family
- Metro UPass Program Extended into 3rd Year
- Cybersecurity Program Launches in St. Louis This Summer
- Webster Hosts S.O.A.R. Program
- Successful Kick-off for Centennial Film Series
- Webster University’s Study Abroad Program Ranked Among Best in the Nation
- Webster’s Study Abroad Program Ranked Nationally in Open Doors Report
- Ferguson Information
- Kiplinger’s Ranks Webster as a “Best Value” In the United States