Gorloks Capture Fifth Straight SLIAC Title
Team is headed to the NCAA Division III championships ranked in first place
ST. LOUIS (MAY 10, 2014) - For the eighth time in the last nine completed tournaments, the #1 ranked Webster University baseball team took home the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championship with a 12-4 win over Greenville College. The Gorloks won their fifth straight crown, on May 10, at Glik Park in Highland, IL.
With the win, Webster advances to the NCAA III Championships, possibly landing at the Regional in Moline, IL. Webster improves to 37-5, with the victory, tying the team record for wins in a single season, set last season as the Gorloks finished 37-12.
Freshman C.J. Lee had the win on the mound and senior Corey Lasky a big day at the plate for Webster. Lee (Aurora, IL/Waubonsie Valley HS) went five innings, giving up three hits and three walks. He gave up a solo home run to the Panthers in the fifth for his only run, and struck out three to improve to 5-1.
Lasky (Vernon Hills, IL/Adlai E Stevenson HS) was 4-4, with two doubles, four RBIs, four runs, two stolen bases, and reached on a hit by pitch. Lasky had a hand in all three Gorlok run-scoring rallies.
In the Webster first, Lasky led off with a single and stole second. Taylor Stoulp (SR, St. Louis, MO/ST. Mary's HS) brought him home with a single up the middle for a 1-0 lead.
The Gorloks added six more in the second. Jeff Kammer (JR, Chesterfield, MO/Lafayette HS) led off with a solo home run, his eighth of the year. Charlie Gandolfi (JR, Mundelein, IL/Mundelein HS) singled and Kevin Kojs (SR, New Lenox, IL/Lincoln Way Central HS) hit a bouncer on the left field warning track, for a run-scoring double.
Ian Foege (SR, Eureka, MO/Eureka HS) and Matt Wollnik (FR, Naperville, IL/Neuqua HS) walked to load the bases. Lasky hit a ball inside the first base line for a two-run double. Ryan Hall (SR, Chesterfield, MO/Eureka HS) lifted a sac fly to score Wollnik. A Joe Winckel (SR, Bonne Terre, MO/North County HS) two-out single scored Lasky, and Webster led, 7-0.
Webster made it 10-0 in the third. Kojs walked and Wollnik singled, followed by a Lasky double down the left field line for two runs. Lasky then scored on a two-base error.
After Lee departed after the fifth, a succession of relievers finished up for Webster. Dylan Dean Smith (SR, Albion, IL/Edwards County HS), Jack Bensinger (JR, Los Angeles, CA/Campbell Hall), Zach Schneider (SR, Grayslake, IL/Warren Township HS), Mitch Stefani (SO, Aurora, IL/Waubonsie Valley HS), and Jason Gray (SR, St. Louis, MO/Eureka HS) all pitched in the final four innings.
The Panthers would add three runs in the seventh and the Gorloks would add two more runs to their lead in the eighth on a Stoulp sacrifice fly and a Winckel run-scoring single to make it the 12-4 final.
Winckel wound up 2-5, with two RBIs, and Stoulp was 1-4, with two RBIs. Kammer was 1-2, with the home run, and Kojs was 1-2, with a double, RBI, and two runs scored. Webster wound up with 12 hits for the game.
Stoulp was the MVP of the 2014 Tournament, and Chris Jansen (JR, Cicero, IN/Bishop Chatard HS), Hall, Wollnik,and Stoulp were named to the All-Tournament Team.
The Gorloks will learn their NCAA Regional destination and first round opponent on Monday, May 12.
- News & Events Home
- 2013 News Archive
- 2012 News Archive
- Contact Media Relations Experts
- Webster Today
- Admissions Statistics
- Fast Facts PDF
- Stroble Encourages Women’s Conference Attendees to ‘Join the Table’
- Freshman Preview Day 2/17/14
- Summer Registration
- Webster Men Gain SLIAC Basketball Championship Berth
- Functionality Test
- Alumnus Receives Assistant Attorney General Award
- Webster University Names Scott Kilgallon Director of Athletics
- Psychology Professor Linda Woolf Guides Adoption of American Psychological Association’s New Anti-Torture, Pro-Human Rights Policy
- Webster University’s Animation Program Ranked in National List
- Webster University Participates in Give STL Day
- Gorloks Finish Perfect 26-0 in SLIAC
- Webster University Chess Team Co-Hosts First Tournament for Local Schools
- Webster University Baseball Ascends to Top of d3baseball.com Poll
- Webster University’s Walker School Honors AT&T Chairman & CEO Randall Stephenson
- Gorloks Capture Fifth Straight SLIAC Title
- A World Class Family
- Metro UPass Program Extended into 3rd Year
- Cybersecurity Program Launches in St. Louis This Summer
- Webster Hosts S.O.A.R. Program
- Successful Kick-off for Centennial Film Series
- Webster University’s Study Abroad Program Ranked Among Best in the Nation
- Webster’s Study Abroad Program Ranked Nationally in Open Doors Report
- Ferguson Information
- Kiplinger’s Ranks Webster as a “Best Value” In the United States