Information for Students Beginning Online Coursework
As a student preparing to begin an online course, most likely you have questions about how to get started. You will receive informational emails from the Online Learning Center prior to the start of your first term regarding orientation and training for online courses at Webster.
Please use the information below as a reference whether you are new to Webster online learning or have had online classes before.
Videos open in popup window.
Set up your Connections account
Connections is the student portal where you will have access to Webster's WorldClassRoom for your courses, Webster email, personal academic information, online registration, financial aid, billing and other services.
As a new student, you should have received a series of emails prompting you to fully activate your Connections account. If you need assistance, please contact the IT Service Desk. You must have your Connections account activated in order to access your online course.
Check your Webster email
Your Webster University email account is the University's official means of communication with you as a student; be sure to check it regularly or have it forwarded to a personal account.
Access your email by logging into Connections, and clicking the "Email" icon near the top right of your screen, which looks like the image to the left. Your first access will require you to re-enter your Connections password (be sure to turn off any pop-up blockers or you will receive an error message). If you need assistance, please contact the IT Service Desk.
Obtain textbook information and order your books
Online courses use Follett for bookstore services, where you can both view and order textbooks required for your course(s) prior to the start of the term. Be sure to allow plenty of time for shipping. View more information.
If you have been awarded financial aid and are expecting a refund, you may be able to utilize the Money for Textbooks program to purchase your textbooks.
Understand how to navigate your online course(s)
There are a number of resources which will help you navigate WorldClassRoom for your online courses; you will receive more detailed information about many of these items by email ahead of the term.
- Our WorldClassRoom FAQ site houses information about the WorldClassRoom platform and online courses.
- Please take a few moments to ensure you understand the expectations of you as an online student, and the expectations of your instructors for online courses.
- The FAQ will also be your best resource for when you get into your online course as you have questions about using WorldClassRoom, as it houses hundreds of step-by-step tutorials for accomplishing various tasks.
- In the week prior to the graduate term, several sessions of an Introduction to Webster Online Webinar will be held. This session introduces you to online learning at Webster and provides an interactive course demonstration.
- In the week prior to the graduate term, you will have access to an Online Student Training Course. The Training Course is housed within WorldClassRoom, and is your opportunity to get hands-on practice in the online learning environment, in a no-stakes, no-pressure manner. The Training Course allows you to gain a better understanding of the structure and format of online courses, provides a chance to set up your profile and notifications, and is an opportunity to practice submitting assignments, taking quizzes and posting to discussion boards.
Has it been awhile since you have had to do research for a paper? Most all research can be done online. Please watch the video to get acquainted with the library but know you can find more videos on the library's Tutorials page. There is an Introduction to Library Research webinar at the beginning of each term; date and time, as well as an archive, can be found at the top of the library's Tutorials page under Library Webinars.
- New Online Students
- Current Online Students
- Online Course Registration
- Student ID Cards
- Money for Textbooks
- Student Awards
- National Distance Learning Week
- OLC Home
- Student Support
- Faculty Support
- WorldClassRoom Help
- Academic Calendar
- About the OLC
Prospective Online Student Information