Information for Students Beginning Online Coursework
As a student preparing to begin an online course, most likely you have questions about how to get started. Please use the following information below as a reference; whether you are a new student to Webster University, or a student who has previously completed courses before.
You will also receive a number of emails from the Online Learning Center prior to a couple of weeks before your first term regarding online courses with additional information.
Set up your Connections account
Connections is the student portal where you will have access to Webster's WorldClassRoom for your courses, Webster email, personal academic information, online registration, financial aid, billing and other services. View a short Connections overview video.
As a new student, you should have received a series of emails prompting you to fully activate your Connections account. If you need assistance, please contact the IT Service Desk. You must have your Connections account activated in order to access your online course.
Check your Webster email
Your Webster University email account is the University's official means of communication with you as a student; be sure to check it regularly or have it forwarded to a personal account. View short videos on accessing your Webster email or on setting it to forward.
Access your email by logging into Connections, and clicking the "Email" icon near the top right of your screen, which looks like the image to the left. Your first access will require you to re-enter your Connections password (be sure to turn off any pop-up blockers or you will receive an error message). If you need assistance, please contact the IT Service Desk.
Obtain textbook information and order your books
Online courses use MBS Direct for bookstore services, where you can both view and
order textbooks required for your course(s) prior to the start of the term. Be sure
to allow plenty of time for shipping. View more information and a video on textbooks.
If you have been awarded financial aid and are expecting a refund, you may be able
to utilize the Money for Textbooks program to purchase your textbooks.
Understand how to navigate your online course(s)
There are a number of resources which will help you navigate WorldClassRoom for your online courses; you will receive more detailed information about many of these items by email ahead of the term.
- Our WorldClassRoom FAQ site houses information about the WorldClassRoom platform and online courses.
- Please review the list of items you should do before beginning your online course, including the technical requirements to ensure your computer is configured properly and our Online Course Tour video.
- Please take a few moments to ensure you understand the expectations of you as an online student, and the expectations of your instructors for online courses.
- The FAQ will also be your best resource for when you get into your online course as you have questions about using WorldClassRoom, as it houses hundreds of step-by-step tutorials for accomplishing various tasks.
- In the week prior to the term, several sessions of an Introduction to Webster Online Webinar will be held. This session introduces you to online learning at Webster and provides an interactive course demonstration.
- Starting one week prior to the term, you will have access to the Online Student Training Course. The Training Course is housed within WorldClassRoom, and is your opportunity to
get hands-on practice in the online learning environment, in a no-stakes, no-pressure
manner. The Training Course allows you to gain a better understanding of the structure
and format of online courses, provides a chance to set up your profile and notifications,
and is an opportunity to practice submitting assignments, taking quizzes and posting
to discussion boards.
- Academic Advising
- IT Service Desk