Tornados usually occur during the spring and summer months, but may occur anytime, provided the conditions are right. Tornados can sweep through an area, causing severe damage and destruction, serious physical injury and death. They can change direction and strike again. Other potential hazards that can occur in the wake of a tornado may include, fire, electrical damage, structure damage and gas leaks.
There are two types of Tornado Alerts:
Weather conditions are considered favorable for creating a tornado and all employees should be alert to weather conditions.
A tornado funnel has been sighted or identified by radar. It is imperative that everyone takes shelter immediately. Tornados can and will move quickly. Therefore, time is of the essence. Keep in mind that since tornados can spring up in a moments notice, there may not be time for ample warning. It is therefore recommended that if severe thunderstorms occur, be alert to the fact that these storms may trigger a tornado.
If the national weather service issues a tornado warning, then St. Louis County will activate a Tornado Warning System that utilizes exterior sirens. If the announcement is made that a tornado warning has been issued, a tornado has touched down, or we are in the path of a tornado, notifications will be made, and all personnel will move to the nearest designated safe area/shelter for that area.
If an actual tornado hits without warning
- Remain calm.
- Go to an area of safety designated for the area you are in, if possible. If not, go to rooms and corridors in the innermost part of the building. Stay clear of windows, corridors with windows or large free-standing expanses. Do not use the elevators.
- Close all doors.
- Crouch near the floor.
- Stay alert for hazards in the aftermath of the tornado.
- General Evacuation & Relocation
- Evacuation Plan for Persons with Disabilities
- Civil Protest
- Bomb Threat
- Hazardous Material Incident
- Armed Intruder
- Public Safety Home
- Campus Violence and Weapons Policy
- Crime Prevention
- Rape Aggression Defense System
- Clery Crime & Fire Reports
- Crisis Response
- Sexual Misconduct Information & Resources
- Non-Emergency Law Enforcement Telephone Numbers