All students must have a valid visa to travel outside of the United States. If you have not yet applied for your visa, visit The United States Postal Service website for information on how to apply.

Visa Routes

Students are required to procure the proper visa (if applicable) for studying in the United Kingdom.  For U.S. citizens, students are allowed to live and study in the U.K. up to 180 days without procuring a visa as the US and the UK operate a visa waiver program. Visa-Nationals will need to apply in advance for a student visa before entering the UK. To see if you require a visa please visit: There are three visa routes depending on the length of stay and your nationality:

  1. Student Visitor Route (visa for entry not required)
  2. Student Visitor Visa
  3. Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
UK Visa

Student Visitor Route

Non-visa nationals coming to the UK for less than 6 months do not need a visa for entry; you can enter the country as a student visitor. There are limitations based on student visitors, you cannot for example do any paid work and you cannot extend your stay. If you arrive as a student visitor you will need the following documents with you to show to the immigration officer when you arrive in the UK:

  • Passport: Your passport should be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your proposed study visit.
  • Proof of travel: Flight itinerary showing entry and departure dates into and out of the United Kingdom, to confirm that you will be in the UK for less than 6 months.
  • Study Abroad Acceptance Letter: This is the letter that you will receive from your study abroad advisor at the beginning of the semester confirming your acceptance to study abroad.
  • Student Visitor letter from Regent’s University London: This letter will prove that you will be studying at Regent’s University London and will also confirm the dates of your study visit and conformation of guaranteed room and board.
  • Proof of funding for your period of study: (this can be in the form of documentation proving scholarship funding, federal financial aid, private loans, parental bank account or whichever method you are using to fund your studies). There are no specific requirements which state the amount of money you must show. It is advisable to provide evidence that you have enough money to cover your living expenses. Using the Tier 4 maintenance figures as a guide only, it would be reasonable to show that you have the equivalent of £1000 per month, for the duration of your course).

Student Visitor Visa

If your period of study is for less than 6 months and you are a visa-national you will need to apply for a student visitor visa in advance.

For more information and guidance on the Student Visitor visa process, please visa the UKBA website.

Tier-4 (General Student) Visa

If your period of study is for longer than 6 months and/or you are a visa-national,  you will need to apply for a Tier-4 visa in advance. Regent’s University London will assign a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number to you which you will receive via email. The CAS is a unique reference number that students use to apply for permission to study in the UK as a Tier-4 (General) student.

For more information and guidance on the Tier-4 (General) visa process, please visa the UKBA website.


Please note: If you plan to study abroad in a country that requires a student visa, you will be guided through the application process by the OSA staff. While the Office of Study Abroad will assist participants about procedures and requirements, securing a visa is an individual responsibility, and not one that OSA or Webster University can or will assume. Webster University is not legally in a position to give any advice on applying for a visa. If you need further information, please direct your inquiries to the British Consulate that serves your region. Visa fees, postage fees and/or travel fees to secure a student visa in person are the responsibility of the student.

If you need assistance with your visa application, you may seek help with a visa services company, typically for an additional fee.  NAFSA, Association of International Educators, recommends Perry International located in Chicago.

Updated Flight Regulations

To obtain the latest information about what can and cannot be brought aboard a plane when traveling internationally, please visit the Transportation Security Administration.

US News and World Report Best Colleges Midwest