All students must have a valid passport to travel outside the United States.  If you have not yet applied for your passport, visit for details.


Additionally, students are required to procure the proper visa for studying in the Netherlands.  Staff from the Admissions Office and Student Services at Webster-Leiden will also help you with the residence permit process during your on-site orientation.

Before you depart, the Office of Study Abroad will need to retrieve certain documents ahead of time so that Webster-Leiden may begin the visa application process. Please take a look at the document below that explains what  OSA will need to send to Webster-Leiden before your arrival.

ALL non‐European Union undergraduate and graduate students who are nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, and USA who are planning to stay longer than 90 days in the Netherlands must apply for a residence permit (VVR) upon arrival in Leiden.

You will need both an entry visa (MVV) and a residence permit (VVR) if you are going to stay in the Netherlands for the purpose of study at bachelor's or master's level for a period exceeding 90 days and you are not a national of one of the following countries: EU/EER, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, Switzerland, and the USA.


If you need further information prior to arrival and after arrival, the Admissions Office and Student Services at Webster-Leiden are available directly for questions and assistance:

Giorgia Santamaria
Graduate Admissions Coordinator

Christine Benninger
Student Services Coordinator

Please note: If you plan to study abroad in a country that requires a student visa, you will be guided through the application process by the OSA staff. While the Office of Study Abroad will assist participants about procedures and requirements, securing a visa is an individual responsibility, and not one that OSA or Webster University can or will assume. Webster University is not legally in a position to give any advice on applying for a visa. If you need further information, please direct your inquiries to the Dutch Consulate that serves your region

If you need assistance with your visa application, you may seek help with a visa services company, typically for an additional fee.  NAFSA, Association of International Educators, recommends Perry International located in Chicago.

Updated Flight Regulations

To obtain the latest information about what can and cannot be brought aboard a plane when traveling internationally, please visit the Transportation Security Administration.

US News and World Report Best Colleges Midwest