Switzerland Passport & Visa | Webster University

Passport & Visa

Obtaining a passport

All students must have a valid passport to travel outside the United States. If you have not yet applied for your passport, you must do so immediately. Obtaining a passport can take quite a bit of time and can delay the visa process and flight reservations. U.S. citizens can apply at the nearest local authorized passport acceptance facility (such as a post office) or through Department of State Passport Agency. The U.S. Department of State provides instructions on where and how to obtain a passport. Passports are mailed to the applicant four to six weeks after the application is received, and are valid for ten years.

Your passport must be valid for the full duration of your stay abroad. If your current passport will expire within six months of the end of the program, it must be renewed at this time. Otherwise, it might be difficult to enter the country, you may be unable to apply for any necessary visas, and you may have to briefly surrender the passport while abroad, during which freedom to travel may be restricted. Most students need to have their passports 3-6 months prior to departure in order to apply for student visas.

Obtaining a Student Visa

A visa is official/legal permission to enter a country for a stated purpose and specified period of time and is granted by the government of that country. Requirements and procedures for student visas vary by country.

If you plan to study abroad in a country that requires a student visa, you will be guided through the application process by the OSA staff. While the Office of Study Abroad will assist participants about procedures and requirements, securing a visa is an individual responsibility, and not one that OSA or Webster University can or will assume. Visa requirements vary by country and by jurisdiction; some consulates allow students to mail in student visa applications while others require students to apply in person.  Please note that these are regulations imposed by the government of the host country, not Webster University. You will need to apply through the Consulate or Embassy that serves your state.

PLEASE NOTE: Processing time for Swiss visas can take up to 10 weeks!  Because students must send their passports to the Consulate after they have received approval authorization, international travel during application time is strongly discouraged. Students who do not receive their visa back in time before departure will not be able to legally enter Switzerland.

Embassy of Switzerland, Washington, D.C. 
District of Columbia, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska Virginia, West Virginia and U.S. possessions where Switzerland has no representative.

Consulate General of Switzerland, Atlanta
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Cayman Islands.

Consulate General of Switzerland, Los Angeles 
The counties of Southern California (ZIPs: 90000-93500) and the states of Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.

Consulate General of Switzerland, New York 
Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota,  Vermont, Wisconsin,  Bermuda, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Consulate General of Switzerland, San Francisco
 The counties of Northern California (Zips: over 93501) and the states of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming and Hawaii.

Visa Services

The following are visa services that may assist you with obtaining your visa for an additional fee. Please note that these services are not endorsed by or affiliated with Webster University.



Please note: Webster University is not legally in a position to give any advice on applying for a visa. If you need further information, please direct your inquiries to the Swiss Consulate that serves your region

Updated Flight Regulations

To obtain the latest information about what can and cannot be brought aboard a plane when traveling internationally, please visit the Transportation Security Administration.