Passport & Visa

Obtaining a Passport

All students must have a valid passport to travel outside the United States. If you have not yet applied for your passport, you must do so immediately. Obtaining a passport can take quite a bit of time and can delay the visa process and flight reservations. U.S. citizens can apply at the nearest local authorized passport acceptance facility (such as a post office) or through Department of State Passport Agency.

 The U.S. Department of State provides instructions on where and how to obtain a passport. Passports are mailed to the applicant four to six weeks after the application is received, and are valid for ten years.

 Your passport must be valid for the full duration of your stay abroad. If your current passport will expire within six months of the end of the program, it must be renewed at this time. Otherwise, it might be difficult to enter the country, you may be unable to apply for any necessary visas, and you may have to briefly surrender the passport while abroad, during which freedom to travel may be restricted. Most students need to have their passports 3-6 months prior to departure in order to apply for student visas.

 Obtaining a Student Visa

 A visa is official/legal permission to enter a country for a stated purpose and specified period of time and is granted by the government of that country. Requirements and procedures for student visas vary by country

 If you plan to study abroad in a country that requires a student visa, you will be guided through the application process by the OSA staff. While the Office of Study Abroad will assist participants about procedures and requirements, securing a visa is an individual responsibility, and not one that OSA or Webster University can or will assume.

 Visa requirements vary by country and by jurisdiction; some consulates allow students to mail in student visa applications while others require students to apply in person.  Please note that these are regulations imposed by the government of the host country, not Webster University.

 United Kingdom Visa Routes

 Students are required to procure the proper visa (if applicable) for studying in the United Kingdom. There are three visa routes depending on the length of stay and your nationality (see below). Also, to see if you require a visa please visit:

  1. Student Visitor Route (visa for entry not required)
  2. Student Visitor Visa
  3. Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

 After you are accepted to attend OBU, you should refer to Oxford Brookes’ International Preparation and Arrival guide. This contains all the information you will need on visas and other information.

 If you are a United States citizen or a national of a country which is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you will need to apply for a visa to come to the UK as a student.

 If you are staying for 1 semester...

You should apply for a student visitor visa.

 However if you need to work as part of your course (e.g. a nursing placement), you will need a Tier 4 student visa even if your work is voluntary or unpaid. Oxford Brookes will not automatically issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number (needed for a Tier 4 student visa) if you are coming for one semester.

 If you are staying for 2 semesters...

 You will automatically be issued a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number (needed for a Tier 4 student visa).

 Please see Oxford Brookes’ guide to applying for a visa for more details. If you applying for a Tier 4 visa you will need to make sure that you meet the U.K. Border Agency's English language requirements for visas.

 Visa Services

 The following are visa services that may assist you with obtaining your visa for an additional fee. Please note that these services are not endorsed by or affiliated with Webster University.

  • Perry Visa
  • VisaHQ
  • TravelVisaPro
  • PassportVisasExpress
  • A Briggs
  • PassportsandVisas
  • TraVisa
  • CIBT Visas


 Webster University is not legally in a position to give any advice on applying for a visa. The British Consulate General New York is the only office that accepts and processes visa applications. If you need further information, please direct your inquiries to the British Consulate General New York.


Updated Flight Regulations

 To obtain the latest information about what can and cannot be brought aboard a plane when traveling internationally, please visit the Transportation Security Administration: