LANDesk Desktop Management Suite
What is LANDesk?
As part of overall efforts to improve and expand centralized support for Webster's desktop computers worldwide, IT has implemented a product called LANDesk. LANDesk is a remote desktop management solution which allows our technical support staff to remotely perform a variety of support and service tasks for those desktops connected to the main campus LAN or the worldwide WAN that connects ninety-plus percent of our extended sites. These support tasks include:
- Keeping up with security patches and virus updates
- Installing and maintaining software on desktop computers
- Diagnosing and fixing system problems
- Keeping track of software licensing
- Performing helpdesk support through remote control features
- Maintaining hardware and software inventory information
The LANDesk Management Suite is composed of two main pieces: the server and the client. The server is housed in Webster University's central data center. The client piece is a small software program that runs on each computer. Sometimes referred to as an agent, this software program allows the LANDesk server to communicate directly with desktop computers that it will be managing.
LANDesk significantly enhances technical support. IT staff can more accurately see and diagnose problems with any WAN/LAN connected desktops--and in many cases can fix those problems immediately. This significantly impacts extended sites as well as the main campus.
Policies and Procedures
The ease and convenience of remote access/control sometimes causes concern about the privacy and security of employee information on desktops. Additional security standards have been established in IT to prevent any unauthorized access of individual desktops from inside or outside of Webster. Internal IT policies and procedures have also been established with specific regard to the LANDesk Desktop Management Suite (LDMS) and its use by IT staff.
- Acceptable Use Policy
- Email Usage Policy
- Wireless Network Policy
- Wireless Policy for Webster Groves Resident Students
- Software Copyright Guidelines
- Maximum Email Recipient Policy
- Campus Email Distribution Lists
- Campus Email Distribution Lists FAQ
- Anti-Spam Practices
- Data Encryption Policy
- Information Technology Ethics
- Qualtrics Guidelines