Qualtrics Guidelines and Procedures
These guidelines and procedures are to ensure that Qualtrics is used for applications within the license agreement and that all relevant university policies, procedures, and guidelines are followed.
|Qualtrics||Qualtrics is a web-based survey tool (www.qualtrics.com) that allows users to create survey instruments, administer surveys, store data, and conduct analysis.|
|University Administrator||The University Administrator is a staff member in the Office of Institutional Effectiveness responsible for coordinating with Division Administrators to ensure the appropriate use and ongoing functionality of Qualtrics. The University Administrator manages users not monitored by a Division Administrator.|
|Division Administrator||A Division Administrator is an employee within each School/College and Student Affairs responsible for managing the employee and student users within their divisions.|
|Employee||An employee is a faculty or staff member employed by Webster University.|
|User type||A user type is a collection of attributes and permissions within Qualtrics associated with each user's account.|
|Sponsor||A sponsor is an employee who will provide general oversight of students using Qualtrics.|
- Use of Qualtrics is subject to the same Acceptable Use Policy as other Webster computing resources as set forth by the Office of Information Technology.
Users must comply with all other applicable university policies and state and federal
- Qualtrics users are responsible for following Webster University Institutional Review
Board (IRB) processes.
- Qualtrics users will protect the privacy and confidentiality of human subjects and
other institutional information as required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy
Act (FERPA). For more comprehensive information, please visit Webster's FERPA page or the Department of Education's FERPA page.
- The Webster University logo may be used only when surveys are administered as part
of official University business. Users can reference Webster's guidelines on logo use.
- Proper authorization is required for use of any copyright material or third party
logo used in the survey. Please refer to Webster University's Copyright and Fair Use
- Employees are responsible for general oversight of acceptable and responsible use
of Qualtrics among their students in accordance with university policies.
- Webster's Qualtrics administrators will routinely monitor the volume of surveys and
survey respondents for system management purposes. Usage may also be subject to auditing
and security testing.
- Qualtrics will archive and retain surveys instruments and survey responses indefinitely.
However, users are responsible for archiving their data to other media such as a local
hard drive prior to expiration of their Qualtrics accounts. Webster is not responsible
for archiving data.
- Webster University reserves the right to change, at any time, at its sole discretion, the Webster University Qualtrics offering and these guidelines and procedures.
The University Administrator will be an employee in the Office of Institutional Effectiveness. The University Administrator will be responsible for:
- Managing the accounts of users who are not otherwise monitored by a Division Administrator;
- Communicating system-wide issues and updates to Division Administrators;
- Coordinating with the Division Administrators and other relevant departments to ensure the appropriate use and ongoing functionality of Qualtrics;
- Communicating with users not otherwise monitored by a Division Administrator about the appropriate use of Qualtrics, including account access and Webster's Qualtrics Guidelines and Procedures;
- Acting as the primary point of contact for users not otherwise monitored by a Division Administrator; and
- Periodically reviewing system use for compliance within divisions which are not monitored by a Division Administrator.
Division Administrators will be identified for each School and College and for Student Affairs. The Division Administrators will receive training on the administrative functionality of Qualtrics. They will be responsible for:
- Managing the accounts of the employee and student users within their divisions;
- Ensuring that student users have been assigned an employee sponsor before each student's user type is changed from “Default” to “Standard”;
- Communicating with users within their divisions about the appropriate use of Qualtrics, including account access and Webster's Qualtrics Guidelines and Procedures;
- Acting as the primary point of contact for their users; and
- Periodically monitoring system use for compliance within their divisions when reasonable.
Only Webster University employees and students are permitted to access a Webster University Qualtrics account. By enabling an account, users are agreeing to the Webster University Qualtrics Guidelines and Procedures.
How to Access Your Webster University Qualtrics Account:
- Qualtrics survey software requires a Webster University Connections account login
and password. Users can access Qualtrics through the Connections portal.
- Users will enter their Connections username and password. The Connections username
is the first part of the Webster University email address (i.e., enter everything
before the @webster.edu). If a user has forgotten his or her Connections credentials,
he or she can contact Webster's IT Service Desk for assistance via phone at 314-968-5995
or 866-435-7270 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Users should then click on the Webster Qualtrics Survey channel. The channel link
will automatically log the user into Qualtrics.
- When users log in for the first time, Qualtrics will prompt them with a dialog box.
Users should select “I don't have a Qualtrics account.” Users who have or had a Qualtrics
account with another institution should also select “I don't have a Qualtrics account.”
Qualtrics accounts across institutions will remain separate.
- Employee user accounts are automatically set to the “Standard” user type. The “Standard”
user type includes full functionality.
Student user accounts are automatically set to the “Default” user type. The “Default” user type has very limited functionality.
Students will need to contact the appropriate Division Administrator to have their user accounts changed from “Default” to “Standard.”
Division Administrators are required to configure student accounts with an expiration date. In general, expiration dates should coincide with the conclusion of the student's survey project. The expiration date will be determined by the Division Administrator and the sponsoring employee. Once a student's account meets the expiration date, his or her account will become disabled.
Employee accounts will not be configured to expire. When it is reasonably possible, the administrators monitoring employee users will be responsible for disabling those accounts when those users have separated from the University. Webster's University Administrator will audit the list of employee users once per academic year to reconcile any outstanding accounts.
Users will no longer be able to log in to Qualtrics if an account has become disabled. User will need to contact the appropriate Division Administrator to re-enable the account.
Distributing Surveys to webster.edu Email Addresses
Surveys with more than 100 webster.edu recipients should be scheduled for distribution during Webster's non-business hours: 7:00 PM to 5:00 AM CT.
Users who plan to distribute surveys with more than 4,000 webster.edu recipients should notify Webster's IT Service Desk at least three business days before the planned distribution date. By notifying Service Desk, users can ensure their survey is not flagged as spam and does not overlap with other large surveys being administered to the Webster population at the same time.
Survey Project Design
The Office of Institutional Effectiveness will provide assistance with survey project design as resources are available.
The surveys created or the responses supplied using the Webster University Qualtrics Survey Software do not in any way constitute official Webster University content. The views and opinions expressed in surveys created with Qualtrics are strictly those of the survey's primary author. Webster University makes no representations or warranties of any kind, expressed or implied, as to the Webster University Qualtrics Survey Software operation or the information, content or materials included.
To the full extent permissible by applicable law, Webster University hereby disclaims
all warranties, express or implied, including by not limited to implied warranties
of merchantability and fitness for any particular purpose. Webster University will
not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of or inability to
use Qualtrics Survey Software. The user expressly agrees to use Qualtrics Survey Software
solely at his/her own risk.
- Acceptable Use Policy
- Email Usage Policy
- Wireless Network Policy
- Wireless Policy for Webster Groves Resident Students
- Software Copyright Guidelines
- Maximum Email Recipient Policy
- Campus Email Distribution Lists
- Campus Email Distribution Lists FAQ
- Anti-Spam Practices
- Information Technology Ethics
- Qualtrics Guidelines