Information Technology News
Sympa Issue Resolved - Thursday, January 22, 4:20 p.m.
Information Technology identified and corrected the previously reported issue affecting the Sympa Listserv System. This service is once again available and should be running normally.
Email Server Maintenance: Saturday, January 24th
Information Technology is scheduled to perform maintenance on the Poe and Nash email servers on Saturday, Jan. 24, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
During this time, users with email accounts that reside on the Poe and Nash servers may expect intermittent unavailability of email services. If your email account resides on Poe and Nash, and you are using an email client (i.e. MacMail, Outlook, etc.), you will have to set your outgoing server to smtp.webster.edu. To determine your outgoing email server, please follow the directions on the IT website.
Tips for Keeping Your Email Account Safe
- Never send your password via email.
- Never respond to a message that looks suspicious or that you are not positive comes from Webster University, even if it's just to ask if it is legitimate. If you want to know if a message is legitimate, do not respond to the message, forward it to: email@example.com
- Read the email carefully. Many phishing attempts are poorly written, containing poor grammar and spelling mistakes.
- Check this website for known phishing scams. If your email looks similar, DO NOT respond.
- Do not click on a link or open an attachment in an email from an unknown source! Your account can be hijacked or you can get a virus on your computer by clicking on a link or opening an attachment in an email. If you are even slightly suspicious of the email, DO NOT click on any links or open any attachments.
- Be skeptical. Don't be fooled by personalized messages, web pages or images in an email. They are all easily faked.
- Know what messages Webster Information Technology has sent out. Bookmark this page; Information Technology posts all current communications to the Webster community here. If you are unsure of a message you receive, check this page. If it is not listed, it is probably not legitimate. Forward suspicious emails to: firstname.lastname@example.org