Using the Cisco Unified Personal Communicator
- Logging In to Communicator
- Setting Preferences
- Adding Contacts
- Adding Contact Groups
- Phone, Email, or IM a Contact
- Sending an Instant Message
- Recent Communications
- Outlook Toolbar
- Launch the Communicator from the shortcut on your desktop.
- Enter your Connections user name.
- Enter the password you were given by the system administrator.
- Login Server: Presence
- Click Log In.
Before you begin using the Personal Communicator client, you should set a few preferences. You only need to set these once.
- Select File > Preferences from the menu bar at the top of the console.
- In the Profile category, make sure the first 3 boxes are checked:
• Start the application when my computer starts
• Remember my password the next time I log in
• Log in automatically when the application starts
- Click the Account category.
- In Voice Messaging, enter your Connections user name and the password you were given by the system administrator.
- Optional: If you do not want to hear sounds when you receive instant messages, click the Instant Messaging category and uncheck the option Play a Sound When I Receive a Message.
- Click OK. The Communicator client is now ready for use.
You may search for people and add them to your contact list so that you can easily call or instant message them.
- In the Search box, enter the last name (or first name, extension, etc.) of the person
you wish to add and press Enter. Matching names and numbers are listed as search results.
- Add the contact(s) you want in one of two ways:
• Click and drag a name into any of your contact groups.
• Right-click on a contact's name, select Add Contact to Group, and choose the group to which you wish to add them.
Next to each contact in your list, you'll find an icon indicating the person's current
Available - Contact is logged in to Communicator and available
Idle - Contact has been inactive for more than X minutes
Busy - Contact's phone is in use or off the hook
Away - Contact has been inactive for more than X minutes
Unavailable - Contact isn't logged in to Communicator
Create groups to organize your contacts. For example, you can create a group for a specific department and add all the contacts who work in the department to it.
- Select Contacts > Add New Group.
- Type a name for the group.
- Click Save.
- Locate the person you want to contact in the Communicator console. Find the person's
name in your contact list, or
Type a name in Search to find the person in the directory.
- Click the person's name.
- Choose a communication method:
• To place a call, click or select Actions > Place a Call and choose the phone number to call.
• To send an email, click or select Actions > Send E-mail.
• To send an IM (instant message), click or select Actions > Send an Instant Message.
- Start an instant message using one of the methods above.
- Type your message in the bottom pane of the window.
- Press Enter on your keyboard to send the message.
Messages exchanged between you and the contact are logged as a conversation in the top pane of the IM window. However, they will be lost when you close the window. From the IM window, you may also choose to call or email the contact.
Your calls and voicemail communications are summarized in the Recent list. Each item is labeled with an icon.
Unread Voice Mail
Read Voice Mail
New items, also known as "unread" items, are shown in bold type. You can sort the
list by clicking a column header or filter it by selecting an option from the drop-down
You can use the Missed Calls directory on your phone to easily dial back a call that you missed. Long distance calls, however, will need to be edited first because the saved number will not include the 91 necessary for outgoing long-distance calls. For example, if you missed a call from 800-435-7270, it will show up as 8004357270 in your missed call directory. If you select that call from the directory and press the Dial softkey, you will get a message that your call cannot be completed as dialed. Instead, press the EditDial softkey and enter 91 in front of the number. Then, press the Dial softkey, and your call will go through. Or, you can simply double-click on this missed call from the "Recent" section in your Personal Communicator client to place the call without editing the number.
The Cisco Unified Personal Communicator installs a toolbar in Microsoft Outlook. If you are using Office 2007, this toolbar can cause problems editing your address book. If you are using Outlook 2007 and having trouble editing your address book, try turning the Cisco Unified Personal Communicator toolbar OFF: select View > Toolbars > Cisco Unified Personal Communicator.
- Using Your Phone
- Voice Mail
- Telephone Speed Dial Directory
- Using the Cisco Unified Personal Communicator
- Phone Etiquette
- Academic Services
- Webster Alerts
- Higher One Debit Card
- CX (CARS)
- Qualtrics Surveys
- Online Bill Payment
- Internet Protocol TV
- ePay Compensation
- Cisco Phone Support
- Mobile Phone Support
- Printer Supplies
- Technology Discounts