Email and Phishing Scams
- Never send your password via email.
- Never respond to a message that looks suspicious or that you are not positive comes from Webster University, even if it's just to ask if it is legitimate. If you want to know if a message is legitimate, do not respond to the message, forward it to: email@example.com
- Read the email carefully. Many phishing attempts are poorly written, containing poor grammar and spelling mistakes.
- Check this website for known phishing scams. If your email looks similar, DO NOT respond.
- Do not click on a link or open an attachment in an email from an unknown source! Your account can be hijacked or you can get a virus on your computer by clicking on a link or opening an attachment in an email. If you are even slightly suspicious of the email, DO NOT click on any links or open any attachments.
- Be skeptical. Don't be fooled by personalized messages, web pages or images in an email. They are all easily faked.
- Know what messages Webster Information Technology has sent out. If you are unsure of a message you receive, contact the IT Service Desk to verify it.
What Should I Do If I Am a Victim of a Phishing Scam?
- Never respond to the phish!
- Read Tips To Keep Your Email Safe
If you responded to an email phish:
- Change your Connections password immediately using these instructions.
- Notify the IT Service Desk that you responded to the phish.
Date: November 4, 2009 1:36:03 PM CST
Subject: You've received A Hallmark E-Card!
Your friends at Hallmark
From: Webster University [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:31 AM
Subject: Important Update
From: Webmail Help Desk. [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:00 PM
Subject: Mail Quota Alert.
Dear Webmaster Email Account Owner,
This message is from Webmaster messaging center to all email account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account
We are deleting all unused email account to create more space for new accounts.
To prevent your account from closing you will have to update it below so that we will know that it's a present used account.
To complete your Webmail account, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your
You can also confirm your email address by logging into your Webmail account Failure to do this will immediately render your email address
deactivated from our database.
Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.
Welcome to Webmaster WebMail
From: Webster Edu Technical Support Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:24:36 -0500 (ECT)
Subject: Re: Account Update-!!!
Dear Webster Edu Email Account User,
We wrote to you on 28th june 2008 advising that you change the password on your account in order to prevent any unauthorised account access following the network instruction we previously communicated.
all Mailhub systems will undergo regularly scheduled maintenance. Access to your e-mail via the Webmail client will be unavailable for some time during this maintenance period. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account center i.e homepage view.
We shall be deleting old [Webster Edu] email accounts which are no longer active to create more space for new accounts users. we have also investigated a system wide security audit to improve and enhance our current security.
in order to continue using our services you are require to update and re-comfirmed your email account details as requested below.
To complete your account re-comfirmation,you must reply to this email immediately and enter your account details as requested below.
Username : (**************)
Password : (**************)
Date of Birth : (**************)
Future Password : (**************)(Option)
Failure to do this will immediately render your account deactivated from our database and service will not be interrupted as important messages may as well be lost due to your declining to re-comfirmed to us your account account details.
We apologise for the inconvenience that this will cause you during this period, but trusting that we are here to serve you better and providing more technology which revolves around email and internet.
It is also pertinent,you understand that our primary concern is for our customers, and for the security of their files and data.
COMFIRMATION CODE: HTVA-NET/93-1A388-480
Technical Support Team
Webster Support/Maintainance Team TSR.
From: WEBSTER.EDU SUPPORT TEAM [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:49 AM
Subject: ***Confirm Your WEBSTER.EDU WEBMAIL Email Account***
Dear WEBSTER.EDU WEBMAIL Subscriber,
We are currently performing maintenance for our Digital Webmail webster.edu Webmail Subscriber. We intend upgrading our Digital Webmail Security Server for better online services.
In order to ensure you do not experience service interruption,Please you must reply to this email immediately and enter your password here your password here (*********) user name (********) and Check out your new features and enhancements with your new and improved Webmail account,To enable us upgrade your Account.
Failure to do this will immediately render your email address deactivated from our database
You can also confirm your email account by logging into your webster.edu account at https://webmail.webster.edu/
for better online services please reply to this mail.
Thank you for using webster.edu webmail ! THE WEBSTER.EDU IT TEAM
WEBSTER.EDU SUPPORT TEAM" firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email Retrieval Methods
- Email Forwarding
- Configuring Email Clients
- How To Find Your Email Server Name
- Outgoing Email Server Settings
- Email and Phishing Scams
- Barracuda Spam Firewall
- Campus Email Lists
- Campus Mail Lists F.A.Q.s
- Out of Office Notification
- Email Optimization Tips
- Changing Outgoing Server in Outlook 2007
- Academic Services
- Webster Alerts
- CX (CARS)
- Qualtrics Surveys
- Online Bill Payment
- Internet Protocol TV
- Cisco Phone Support
- Mobile Phone Support
- Printer Supplies
- Technology Discounts
- Request for Non-Standard Software