Higher One Frequently Asked Questions

Where's my card?

Go to websterdebitcard.higheroneaccount.com/cardoffice/card/search/InitSearch.do and enter the required information to see the status of your card and the address to which it was mailed.

I never received my card, what do I do?

Go to websterdebitcard.higheroneaccount.com/cardoffice/card/search/InitSearch.do
and enter the required information to see the status of your card and the address to which it was mailed. If you did not receive the card or have lost the card you can request a new card. Please be aware there is a $20 fee for a new card.

I chose ACH/Direct Deposit but was unable to print my form to mail. How can I get back to that screen?

Go to websterdebitcard.com and log in with your email address and the password you setup. Once logged in click on Profile then Refund Preferences. There you will see Complete a New ACH Form.

I've forgotten my Higher One password. How do I reset it?

Go to websterdebitcard.com and click on the link that says Trouble logging in? Reset your password.

I've forgotten which email address I used to activate my Higher One account. How can I log in?

Call Higher One customer service at 1-877-474-1960.

How can I find out where my money is?

Go to websterdebitcard.com and login with your email address and the password you setup. Once logged in click on Financial Refunds then Refund Status and History.

Can I change my refund preference?

Yes, you can change your refund preference at any time by going to websterdebitcard.com and logging in with your email address and the password you setup. Once logged in click on Financial Refunds then Refund Preference.

How do I change my email notification options?

Go to websterdebitcard.com and log in with your email address and password you setup. Once logged in click on Profile then Notifications.

My card has been lost or stolen. What do I do?

Call Higher One customer service at 1-877-474-1960.

Am I required to open a bank account with Higher One to get my refund?

No, you only have to open a One Account if you wish to have your refund on your Webster Debit Card.

I moved. How do I update my address?

Go to websterdebitcard.com and log in with your email address and the password you setup. Once logged in click on Profile then Address and Phone. You should also update your address with the University by sending in a change of address form.

My refund check is lost or I never got it. What do I have to do?

Financial Aid Refunds are mailed out to the primary mailing address on file. We recommend you allow ten days to pass before requesting another check because we would not want to issue a stop payment on a refund check and have you receive it shortly after the request. Ten days is ample time for receipt of the refund. If after ten days you still have not received the refund check print off the Indemnity Form and fax it back to Higher One at 866-309-7443. **Must be logged into your Higher One account for this link to work.**

I thought the OneAccount was free, but now I have been charged fees. What happened to free?

Your OneAccount is indeed free. There are no fees or charges associated with your account for typical transactions: depositing money, spending money with your card (use as credit rather than debit to prevent fees) withdrawing money at the HigherOne ATMs, checking your statements, etc. However, there are three classes of actions that may result in charges:

  • Optional services: Ordering checks, for instance, costs money. Official checks, paper statements, the use of non-HigherOne ATMs, these all result in small fees.
  • Penalties: Certain actions should never be taken by any accountholder, at any bank, anytime. Bouncing checks, overdrawing the account, etc. Basically, trying to spend money you don't have will result in a penalty. Most of these things are also not legal - writing a check knowing that it will bounce, for example, is considered fraud.
  • Inactivity fee: If you don't do anything with the account for 9 months, you will be charged the inactivity fee. This is designed to prevent the overhead from maintaining a 'dead' account - most of which will have balances under a dollar - from becoming overwhelming. If you want to avoid this fee, simply withdraw a little money at an ATM, or make a purchase, using your card every few months.

A complete fee schedule is posted at websterdebitcard.higheroneaccount.com/info/outfees.jsp.

If I choose paper check as my refund option, will the check come from Webster or Higher One?

Please see this link for a sample check envelope websterdebitcard.higheroneaccount.com/info/popup/samplecheck.jsp.

How does this program benefit students?

Through the Webster card program, students have more options for how they receive refunds, and they will receive their money faster. It is easy to track your refund payments and preference online.

Why did Webster choose to partner with Higher One?

For many years, students have complained about waiting for their refund checks to arrive via the mail. The new service will provide students with three options for how they receive refunds. Students may choose to open a free checking account and activate the debit card, to authorize a direct deposit to another banking institution, or to be issued a paper check.

The Higher One program was chosen after checking references with other institutions. This program has been very successful for other universities, students and parents. In short, Higher One is a reputable vendor with a proven track record to provide refund choices to Webster students.

If I still have the option to get a paper check at the cashier's window or directly deposited into my account, then why is this service and its provider necessary?

You will no longer be able to pick up your check at the cashier's window. The Higher One option allows you to choose to have your refund deposited in a checking OneAccount, electronically deposited to another banking institution, or mailed to you as a paper check.

Do I have to activate the card that was mailed to me?

The card that was mailed to you is your key for entry into the Higher One system and allows you to choose how you want your refunds delivered. Information is contained in the system to authenticate you as a user. It is your choice whether you choose to activate the OneAccount and the debit card.

If you do not activate your card and you receive a refund your refund will be returned to Webster after 60 days.

Do I have to activate a refund option if I do not anticipate receiving a refund?

You need to activate and communicate your refund delivery choice regardless of whether you anticipate receiving a refund. Refunds primarily occur when your borrowings under the government student loan programs exceed your charges for tuition and fees. However, there are many other reasons when your account with Higher One may result in a refund, such as the return of a housing deposit, the return of funds paid due to withdrawal from a course, etc. It is in your best interest to specify your refund choice now in the event that a refund might be due to you in the future.

If I choose not to activate the OneAccount, do I need to keep the Webster Debit Card?

We recommend that you retain the card for future reference or use. If you forget your password, you will need the number and security code from the card to reset your logon. In addition, if at any time in the future, you change your mind and decide to open the OneAccount, you will need the Webster Debit Card to access the funds on that account.

Is activation easy? Is it clear how to choose the option I want?

The website offers options. Students are free to choose the free checking account option, direct deposit option, or the mailed check option. Each preference is easy to choose and confirmed to make sure there is no mistake.

Who will be able to assist me if there is a problem?

There is online help at www.websterdebitcard.com, or call 1-877-474-1960 for WU debit card customer service. In addition, personnel from the Bursar Office, the IT Service Desk, and many other Webster offices are trained to help students through this process.

Can I choose to have my refund sent electronically to any bank for free?

Yes, you can. Go to www.websterdebitcard.com and make a choice to have your refund directly deposited to your bank account after you login. (Note: Card must already be activated and account setup. You can choose this method in the activation/signup process itself).

Does Higher One charge fees? Are their banking fees different from other banks?

There is no charge to a student to receive their refund, no matter which of the three options they choose. If the student chooses the OneAccount banking choice, the bank account is offered at no charge for standard banking services. There is no fee to withdraw funds from your Higher One account using a Higher One ATM.

If the student uses other services, such as wire transfers, there are fees which are comparable with other banks. Higher One's fees are competitive with other banks, and the company provides education materials to teach students how to use the account for free. Please read the fee schedule for these services at www.websterdebitcard.com.

If I choose to use the OneAccount, is there a $.50 fee for debit purchase transactions?

When using the MasterCard feature of the Webster Debit Card there are two ways to make purchases. Both draw money from your OneAccount. There is no fee charged for "swipe and sign" debit card transactions - available at 22 million locations worldwide. As with many banks, yes, you will be charged a $.50 transaction fee for PIN-based transactions. However, almost all merchants that offer PIN-based transactions also offer signature-based transactions. Many customers have never paid for a debit transaction. To make a non-PIN based transaction, choose or say Credit when asked at the register, then just sign the receipt. Do not enter a PIN. Your transaction will be covered by MasterCard's Zero Liability Policy.

Higher One encourages students not to choose Debit when they have the option. Instead choose Credit. Every time students choose Credit, Higher One places $.01 into a "Student Activities Fund." This fund is used to co-sponsor student organization events on your campus. If you have an idea for an event or your organization needs help, submit your idea to your SGA president.

Is it still possible to overdraft the Higher One OneAccount?

Higher One's OneAccount works like any other checking account. If you do not carefully track your spending, you could authorize a transaction (such as writing a bad check) that would overdraft your account. Higher One encourages responsible money management and provides materials to help educate students about how to control their finances.

What is the OneRewards program? Why does Higher One offer it?

Similar to points programs with other cards, you can get points for purchases that you make at certain merchants. You can redeem the points for gift certificates or merchandise at our online redemption center.

Who do I contact if I lose my card?

For your own security, as soon as you realize that you do not have physical control of your card, it is essential that you report the lost card: go to www.websterdebitcard.com, visit the Bursar Office or your local campus representatives, or call customer service at 1-877- 474-1960. Reporting your card lost allows Higher One to cancel the card and prevent fraud, theft, and abuse. At the same time, you will be issued a replacement card that you should receive within a week by mail. You will be charged a $20 fee for any replacement card.

Is Higher One's customer service designed to handle 20,000 Webster students? What about all their other customers?

Yes, Higher One's customer service call center and online service features enable students to quickly get help when it's needed. Higher One provides a toll-free phone number solely for Webster Debit Card customer service: 1-877-474-1960

Will Webster replace its ID card with the Webster Debit Card?

The University has no plans to use the Webster Debit card as its ID card.

I see Higher One has a partnership with a bank? Why and how does that work?

All banking transactions are covered by the FDIC through the banking partnership that Higher One has in place. All customer service, transaction processing, and operations are handled by Higher One. Higher One has handled more than $1 billion dollars in refund payments and more than 125,000 students actively use the services of the OneAccount.

Did Webster sell information to Higher One? How will the information that was shared with Higher One be used?

No information was sold to Higher One. Higher One is a Webster partner and is contractually responsible to comply with strict security and privacy regulations. Minimum information which was needed to produce the card was used. A student ID number, student name, student address and date of birth, gender and email address were provided to authenticate each cardholder for security reasons and to provide a vehicle to notify students about the card.

Is it legal for Webster to share information with a service provider?

Yes, it is legal. Webster provided information to Higher One under contract to provide services to WU students. As noted above, Higher One is contractually responsible to comply with strict security and privacy regulations.

Does sharing information with Higher One break the current privacy rules at the University?

This service is in compliance with Webster's privacy rules. Webster provided information to this vendor under contract in order to provide services to our students. As stated above, Higher One is contractually responsible to comply with strict security and privacy regulations.

Does Higher One sell student information to other companies?

Absolutely not! Please refer to Higher One's privacy policy. Higher One is solely focused on higher education and contractually cannot share or sell student information.