Wireless Internet - Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need any specific software on my machine to use it?
- Is it secure?
- Do I need any sort of logon for it?
- Who can use the Webster WiFi?
- Will the University be supplying any hardware/software required?
- What kind of hardware do I need to take advantage of the wireless internet on campus?
- How fast is Webster WiFi on campus?
- Where on campus are the WiFi signals coming from (where are the strongest signals)?
- Will the campus have WiFi adapters available for checkout if my laptop doesn't have a wireless card?
- Will the bookstore stock WiFi adapters?
- Will I be able to print when I am on the wireless network?
- Will the same Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) apply to the wireless network as to the wired?
- Will I have access to my network drive?
- Will I log onto Novell via wireless?
You do not need any specific software to use Webster WiFi, but you will need a compatible Operating System and wireless adapter.
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP Professional Edition
- Macintosh OS 10.3 or higher
Compatible wireless adapters:
- Must support b/g standard
Webster WiFi is an unsecured wireless network. However, only users with a valid Connections ID and Password will be able to use the wireless network. So while the data sent/received on Webster WiFi is not encrypted, it is not an "open" network either.
To utilize Webster WiFi, you will need to logon with your Connections ID and password.
Anyone with a valid Connections ID and Password.
No. Webster will only support connecting to the Webster WiFi using equipment that is already installed and that meets our hardware/software requirements.
A PC laptop or desktop running Windows XP Pro with a wireless adapter that supports the b/g standard OR A Macintosh desktop or laptop running OS 10.3 or higher with a wireless adapter that supports the b/g standard.
Webster WiFi is 802.11b/g compliant, so users can get up to 54mbps.
The wireless access points are calibrated so that the wireless hot spots on campus have even coverage.
Will the campus have WiFi adapters available for checkout if my laptop doesn't have a wireless card?
No. Each individual is responsible for having the proper equipment for access Webster WiFi.
The bookstore has no plans at this time to stock any wireless adapters. Wireless adapters can be obtained locally through retail outlets such as CompUSA and Best Buy.
You will not be able to print to any network printers while on Webster WiFi.
Yes. All current policies regarding network usage apply to Webster WiFi.
You will not have access to any of your network drives while using Webster WiFi as they are on a separate network subnet from the wireless network.
No. If you computer is setup with a Novell logon, when you are accessing the Internet using Webster WiFi, Novell services will not be available. In addition, if you startup your computer on the wireless network and the Novell logon comes up, you will need to choose “Workstation Only” as the logon.