Connecting to Webster's Wireless Netwotk
- When you are in a wireless equipped location on campus, you should get a pop-up window
like the one shown below alerting you that you are in range of Webster's wireless
- If you right-click, you should see the options listed below.
- Click on View Available Wireless Networks You will get a Choose a wireless network dialog box. You should see webster-wifi as one of the networks available.
- Click on webster-wifi and click Connect. You may get a pop-up box indicating that the network you are connecting to is unsecured,
click Connect Anyway.
- You may get a dialog box like the one shown below while your computer connects to
the Webster Wireless network.
- When the connection is established, the Choose a wireless network dialog box will show the Webster Wireless network ac Connected and the Connect button at the bottom of this box will now change to Disconnect.
- You may close this dialog box. This will not close your network connection. To complete
your connection to the Webster Wireless network, open your preferred internet browser
(Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.) You may get a certificate acceptance box like
one of the ones shown below. Click OK or YES.
- You will now get a log on screen. In the User Name field, enter your Connections username
In the Password field, enter your Connections password. Click Submit.
- If the Connections username and password you entered is correct you will get a small
pop-up window like the one shown below and your main browser window will then be taken
to your browsers default homepage.
- If the Connections username and/or password you entered is incorrect, you will get
a Login Error. Try typing your Connections ID and Password again, and clicking Submit. If this does not work, please contact the IT Service Desk.
- You will need to authenticate when you first connect to the Webster Wireless network
each session (each time you connect to Webster Wireless). Once you are connected,
you will not need to re-authenticate in that session. When finished using the Webster
Wireless network, you do not need to disconnect, the connection will disconnect automatically
when you are out of range. You might see a wireless signal strength indicator in your
Windows system tray. The more bars there are the better the signal strength.
- From your Macintosh desktop, click on the airport icon.
- Click Open Internet Connect.
- The Internet Connect utility will appear.
Click the down arrow next to Network: and choose webster-wifi.
- You may receive a pop-up box asking if you want to automatically join this network
in the future. This means that when this network is within range that your computer
will attempt to connect to it. Click Yes.
- When the computer connects to the network, the Internet Connect dialog box will change
to show the status as Connected.
- You may now exit from Internet Connect. Next, open your preferred internet browser
(Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.) When your browser tries to open your homepage,
you might get a pop-up box, similar to one of the ones below, asking you to accept
a certificate. Click OK, Continue or Yes.
- You will then see the login screen below. In the User Name field, type in your Connections ID (Connections username). In the Password field, type in your Connections password Click Submit.
- If your logon was successful, you will get a browser pop-up box as shown below.
- If the Connections username and/or password you entered was incorrect, you will get
a Login Error message. Please try to logon again and if unsuccessful, contact the IT Service Desk.
- Once you are successfully logged in, you will be taken to the Connections page in your browser. You may now use the Internet as you normally would. When you are finished using the Webster wifi connection, there is no need to disconnect, you will be automatically disconnected when you go out of range. If you go back in range within 1 (one) hour of your last logon, you will not have to re-authenticate, if it has been more than one hour since you used the Webster wifi network you will have to enter your Connections username and password again in your browser.