Webster Alerts Troubleshooting
Allow up to 1 hour to receive the validation code. Otherwise, check the following:
- Certain cellular phones, generally older models, do not support SMS text messaging. Contact your wireless service provider for information about your specific model.
- You may have a blocked or restricted texting plan from your mobile carrier due to a recent change in service, ie: going to a "flat rate" plan.
- Is your phone within service range? Most cell phones have an antenna icon on the display screen that shows the strength of your current signal. If your signal is weak or out of range, move your phone to a location with a better signal.
- If your phone has a strong signal, does your service plan include SMS text messaging? Not all cell phone plans include text messaging. Contact your service provider for details or to add text messaging service to your plan.
- If you are Nextel user, make sure you choose Nextel, NOT Sprint from the carrier drop-down box.
- There are multiple options for certain service providers or "carriers" in the system, and you may need to choose the other option. For example, two options are offered for Sprint: Sprint PCS and Sprint PCS (Alternate). Likewise, two options are offered for AT&T and AT&T (Legacy). Check whether your carrier is one that has multiple options. If it is, follow the steps below to change your account to use the other option:
- Log in to your account.
- Click Services.
- Review the options in the Select Carrier drop-down box. If your carrier is listed more than once, compare the choices with the carrier displayed on the screen next to your cell phone number.
- Click Delete in the same row as the cell phone number.
- Re-enter the cell phone number .
- In Select Carrier, choose the option that was not previously selected.
- Click Add SMS.
- Make sure you check your bulk or Junk mail folders for the message.
- Log on to your Webster Alerts account. Click the Services tab and make sure you have correctly typed your email address and that it does not contain any typo's.
- Make sure your email account is able to receive mail (i.e., it is not blocked or over its size limit).
The validation link in the email can be very long, and some email clients will break the link across two or more lines. Try copying and pasting the entire URL into the address bar of your browser, or opening up another email reader and clicking on the link from there.
- If you have forgotten your password, click the “Forgot Your Password?” link on the Log In page.
- If you have forgotten your username, email us and we will delete your account so you can start over.
Check your account's status using the following checklist.
- Is your account active and all contacts validated?
When you add a new phone number or email address to your account, it must be validated. For phone numbers, you will receive a text message with a validation code. You must log back in to Webster Alerts and enter the code in order to validate the phone number. For email addresses, you will receive an email that you must reply to.
If you never received a validation message or you didn't enter the code you received, then your account is not active and you will not receive alerts. You can confirm the status of your account by logging in. Log on to your Webster Alerts account. Then, click the Services tab. If any of your phone numbers or email addresses are "unvalidated," click Resend Activation SMS or Resend Activation Email.
If you notice an error in the phone number or email address, click Delete and add a corrected phone number or email address.
Phone and Email Status Indicators
- Is your account expired?
Accounts expire after two years. To make sure yours is still active, log in to your account. If you see “Your service expired on...", click the Re-Activate Account button. (See the example below.) Thirty days prior to expiration, Webster Alerts will send a message to notify you about a pending expiration.
- Did you sign up for more than one account?
Multiple accounts sometimes cause problems with receiving alerts. If you are unsure whether you have multiple accounts, email email@example.com with your full name. They will check the user database and get back to you.
- Are you signed up for the appropriate groups?
Just because you signed up for a Webster Alerts account does not mean you get all of the alerts that are sent. You have to be signed up for the group to which the alerts are sent. Log in to your account and click on the Groups tab to see the groups to which you are subscribed.
See F.A.Q. page for group subscription guidelines.
- Still not receiving alerts?
Contact the IT Service Desk.
Email delivery is not instantaneous in many cases. Every email client, whether it is on your desktop or web based, has different send/receive frequencies. This can affect the speed at which you receive messages. Also, each individual email provider varies in how quickly they process incoming email.
Webster Alerts accounts are valid for two years. If your account has expired, log in to your account. Then, click Re-Activate Account next to the expiration notice.
- Academic Services
- Webster Alerts
- CX (CARS)
- Qualtrics Surveys
- Online Bill Payment
- Internet Protocol TV
- Cisco Phone Support
- Mobile Phone Support
- Printer Supplies
- Technology Discounts
- Request for Non-Standard Software