Being a Host Family
Benefits of Hosting a Walker EDGE International Intern
- Hosting a student intern is a wonderful way to learn about a new culture, its values and traditions, language, food and more.
- It expands one's global perspective and enriches the lives of family members.
- It is an opportunity to develop life-long international friendships and memories that last forever. Many of our host families continue to keep in touch with student interns for years after their stay.
- International student interns are eager to learn about American life first-hand and hosting is a great way to rediscover Saint Louis through sharing your own culture.
- Hosting provides an opportunity to leave and receive a lasting cultural impact. It creates a dynamic environment and fosters new ideas and insights.
Responsibilities of Being a Host Family
- Provide student interns from around the world with a safe and comfortable “home away from home” and a private place to sleep.
- Provide breakfast, dinner and food for a sack lunch. Host families receive a $500.00 stipend to help defray costs for an 8-12 week stay. All other costs are the responsibility of the student.
- Introduce interns to American family life, traditions and culture through excursions and activities throughout the program.
- Share everyday activities such as meals, family life and family outings with the student intern.
- The top requirements for a successful host family experience: Communication, attention and integration.
To Learn More About Hosting an International Student Intern, Contact: