Today, the arts need skilled managers who are leaders. Webster University's master of fine arts degree in Arts Management and Leadership will help you develop into a professional, enlightened, and imaginative leader who understands and can promote the business of art.
Through close mentorships, personal interactions, and small class sizes, you'll gain unique and intimate perspectives from experienced arts leaders on business management theories and techniques, as they pertain to the arts. Internship and volunteer opportunities at renowned venues provide an inside look at theories and programs in action.
Convenient class times of this accelerated degree are designed around the schedule of working professionals. Graduates use their knowledge, skills and MFA credentials to lead the arts to new levels of financial and cultural success.
Internship opportunities with St. Louis' leading arts institutions provide students with practical and meaningful arts centric business experience.
Teachers and guest speakers from the professional arts world share insight and offer practical solutions that can be immediately applied at work.
Small class sizes, and flexible scheduling of this accelerated degree make it possible to make an immediate impact on the art community.
Webster's Master of Fine Arts in Arts Management and Leadership Program
The master of fine arts (MFA) in arts management and leadership is a program to develop professional, enlightened and imaginative leadership for visual and performing arts institutions. Students will acquire an understanding of the theories of business management and techniques with special emphasis on the application of these skills to the arts.
The goal of the program is to graduate students who are immediately qualified to assume specialized administrative positions with professional arts organizations and who will eventually assume leading decision-making positions in the field. It is anticipated that these graduates will work to effectively influence policies regarding the appropriate role of arts in our society.
45 credit hours
- AMLD 5010 Introduction to Arts Management/Planning (3 hours)
- AMLD 5020 Legal Issues in the Arts (3 hours)
- AMLD 5030 Fund-Raising/Development (3 hours)
- AMLD 5040 Leadership Issues and Board Strategies (3 hours)
- AMLD 5050 Community and Cultural Policy (3 hours)
- AMLD 5060 Accounting and Basics in Finance (3 hours)
- AMLD 5070 Marketing for the Arts (3 hours)
- AMLD 5065 Financial Issues in the Arts (3 hours)
- AMLD 5200 Seminar in Arts Leadership (9 hours)
- AMLD 5210 Thesis Project (3 hours)
- AMLD 5220 Completion and Acceptance of Final Thesis (3 hours)
- AMLD 5453 Stakeholder Management Communications (3 hours)
- HRMG 5000 Managing Human Resources (3 hours)
Requirements for admission to the MFA in arts management and leadership program include:
- Previous practical experience in an arts discipline.
- A bachelor of arts (BA), bachelor of fine arts (BFA), or approved equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Submission of official transcripts.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of at least 1,000 words examining issues concerning "Arts and the Future".
- Interview with faculty.
Get Started on Your Program
Take the next step toward earning your degree. We are here to help.
Learn more about our academic programs and our main campus and locations.
Connect with our admissions counselors and academic advisors.
Apply to Webster and take the next steps for financial aid and scholarships.