About the Preparatory Program at CMS
Summer Rotation Dates: Aug. 2-19, 2021
Application Deadline: July 2, 2021
Video Audition Deadline: July 6, 2021 (2020-21 Prep Students do not need to audition)
This 3-week summer rotation immerses students in a daily schedule of core rehearsals, coachings, and practice, with musical electives like performance class, music theory and more. The Preparatory Summer Rotation is for students interested in pursuing entry to the CMS Preparatory Program.
The CMS Preparatory Program is an extensive, multi-year program offering high-caliber instruction from professional musicians, meaningful real-world performance opportunities, artistic mentoring and a comprehensive curriculum. Three 7-week rotations include 1-3 weekly rehearsals, 5 coachings, a culminating concert, and electives in performance, theory, mentorship, multi-track recording, and piano accompaniment. The CMS Preparatory Program is most appropriate for advanced musicians interested in pursuing higher education in music or playing in University music programs.
- Performance: These classes provide a masterclass-like environment for students to develop experience performing. Each musician is given two opportunities per rotation to play and get feedback from top professional musicians.
- Theory: Students work with a college-level theory instructor to develop knowledge of key signatures, intervals, chord identiﬁcation, cadences, harmonization and analysis; five classes per rotation.
- Mentorship: Mentors meet with students in small groups or individually twice per rotation. Topics may include how to prepare for conservatory auditions, is music the right career path for you, where should you apply for college, how can you make a living playing music
- Multi-track Recording: Becoming familiar with the fundamentals of multi-track recording is a valuable skill for musicians. This elective gives students an opportunity to collaborate on classical repertoire while gaining experience with technology.
- Piano Accompaniment: Each student receives 30 minutes of rehearsal time with pianist per rotation. Unused time rolls over to the next rotation, up to 2 hours. This is particularly useful for students making audition recordings.
- Advanced string, wind, and piano students who are well into the concerto-level repertoire
- Students in grades 9-12. Younger students may be considered based on teacher recommendation
- Students should be studying privately on the instrument on which they will audition
- Students should be highly motivated and anticipate pursuing music study at the collegiate or conservatory level
Enrollment is limited to 35 students.
Auditions are Sept. 11 and 12, 2021
More information about 2021-22 auditions are coming soon!
|2021-2022 Academic Year||Concert Dates|
|Preparatory Program Orientation||Sept. 29, 2021|
|Fall Rotation #1 (weekly coachings)||Oct. 4 - Nov. 15, 2021||6 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 21, 2021|
|Winter Rotation #2 (weekly coachings)||Jan. 3 - Feb. 14, 2022||7 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2022|
|Spring Rotation #3 (weekly coachings)||March 7 - April 18, 2022||6 p.m., Sunday, April 24, 2022|
Group Classes are held monthly on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.
Summer 2021 Tuition: $320
2021-22 Tuition: $960 (Fall, Winter and Spring rotations)
Annual Registration Fee: A non-refundable registration fee of $30 is assessed once per academic year per student upon enrollment.