Current regular academic events offered include:
Cities have served as the driving force for social and economic development in 21st-century China, as key windows for the world to know this country, and as a vital field of research for China scholars within and abroad. Academic works on Chinese cities have sprung up since the 1980s, and experts focusing on urban China have become the backbone of the China studies community.
Sponsored by the Confucius Institute at Webster University, this series intends to introduce to scholars and the general public the newest discoveries, cutting-edge methods, provocative debates and groundbreaking thoughts, as presented by Chinese urban studies scholars in their most recent research.
China Urban Study Author Talk Series Events
- April 24, 2021, 8:00 – 9:00 pm CST: Global Shanghai Remade: The Rise of Pudong New Area by Richard Hu, Professor at the University of Canberra
- April 10, 2021, 8:00 – 9:00 pm CST: Painting the City Red: Chinese Cinema and the Urban Contract by Yomi Braester, Professor at the University of Washington
- March 10, 2021, 4:00 – 5:00 pm CST: China Gothic: The Bishop of Beijing and His Cathedral by Anthony Clark, Professor at Whitworth University
- February 20, 2021: Exodus to Shanghai: Stories of Escape from the Third Reich by Dr. Steven Hochstadt, Professor Emeritus of History at Illinois College
- January 16 2021: Mapping Modern Beijing: Space, Emotion, Literary Topography by Dr. Weijie Song, Associate Professor of modern Chinese Literature and culture at Rutgers University
Chinese Film Speaker Series
The WUCI is proud of our ongoing collaboration with the Webster University Film Series in bringing acclaimed Chinese films to Webster audiences. Each film screening culminates with an event where an expert shares their interpretation of the film and invites participant discussion. Check out our events page for the date of the next film speaker event!
Past Film Speaker Events:
March 18, 2021, Drunken Master
Feb. 15, 2021, Hero
Nov. 4, 2020, The Farewell
Sept. 24, 2020, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Feb. 20, 2020, The Piano in a Factory
Jan. 31, 2020, Girls Always Happy
Chinese Teachers' Workshop
The WUCI invites experts in Chinese language and pedagogy to share their knowledge with area K-12 teachers at a day-long workshop each August. Check back soon for updates about the August 2021 workshop!
2020 Workshop presenters:
Dr. Jiahang Li from the Confucius Institute at Michigan State University
Dr. Ching-Ling Tai from Arrupe Virtual Learning Institute
Mr. Yude Huang from Saint Louis University High School
Ms. Lily Childs from Mary Institute and Country Day School
Date: August 29, 2020
Location: Zoom Meeting--register to receive meeting ID and password
For this event the WUCI invites scholars in various China-related domains to the Webster University campus for a day of academic exchange. This event is free and open to the public.
The Confucius Institute at Webster University hosted this academic conference on September 4, 2019. It was free and open to all community members, and held in Webster University's East Academic Building, Rooms 253/262 and the Commons. The art exhibition "Wandering in Nature," in which the renowned artist Dengbai Yuejin made his American debut, took place concurrently in the Commons area with the opening ceremony.