Student Employment is now located in the Human Resources Department, in Loretto Hall 2nd Floor, 470 East Lockwood Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63119. Our staff can help students, departments and community service employers with any questions they may have.

Student Employment: Community Service

Student Employment is accepting new community service federal work-study agreements for the upcoming academic year. Please email with questions.

Student Employment provides opportunities for students to use their federal work-study award with off-campus employers. The majority of opportunities available are with local nonprofit organizations, who also partake in community service activities.

Federal Criteria for Site Approval

Community services are defined as services that are identified by an institution of higher education through formal or informal consultation with local nonprofit, governmental, and community-based organizations, as designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs. These services include:

  • Fields including health care, child care, literacy training, education (including tutorial services), welfare, social services, transportation, housing and neighborhood improvement, public safety, crime prevention and control, recreation, rural development, and community improvement.
  • Work in service opportunities or youth corps as defined in Section 101 of the National and Community Services Act of 1990, and services in the agencies, institutions and activities designated in Section 124(a) of that act.
  • Support services to students with disabilities (including students with disabilities who are enrolled at the school — this is the only statutory exception to the requirement that community service be open and accessible to the community).
  • Activities in which a Federal Work-Study student serves as a mentor for such purposes as tutoring, supporting educational and recreational activities, and counseling, including career counseling.

Hiring a Student Employee

Community service sites must be approved by the student employment coordinator before they can hire Webster University student employees.

Required Paperwork: The required paperwork must be submitted to Student Employment before the student employee begins working. Your student employee CANNOT be added to the MyWebster system (and therefore, cannot be paid) until all paperwork is received and processed. Paperwork processing can take up to three business days. Once their information is entered in the system, an email from Student Employment will be generated to the student (and the supervisor) with instructions on how to register for the MyWebster portal (ADP). Community service sites may require additional paperwork or background checks as well.

New Hire Orientation: All student workers who have never had a student employment position with Webster University must complete a new hire orientation before they can begin working. Please email for information.

Community Service Timecard: The community service timecard must be completed and signed by the student employee and supervisor every pay period. Please reference the Student Employment Payroll (requires login) schedule. Timecards are due, with signatures, by 10 a.m. the Monday after the pay period ends. Please be aware that there are early deadlines around holiday breaks. Timecards that are received after the Monday deadline will delay student employee pay. Please email timecards to the Student Employment Department associate. The student employment coordinator will pick up original timecards at a future date.

News and Events

Connect with Us