Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions | Webster University

Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions

With more than 16 programs to choose from, deciding on the right study abroad program takes research, time and reflection. When considering which program to choose, keep the following questions and the corresponding answers in mind to help narrow your decisions.

What is Webster University?

Founded in 1915 in St. Louis, Missouri, Webster University is a respected independent comprehensive multi-campus international university, where undergraduate and graduate programs include the Liberal Arts, Fine and Performing Arts, Teacher Education, Business and Management and Communications. Webster University-Geneva, our first international campus, opened in 1978 and was followed by Webster-Vienna, Leiden, and Cha-am. Webster's first African campus, in Accra Ghana, Webster-Athens, and Webster-Florence opened in 2015.

Webster University instituted its first European campus in Geneva, Switzerland in 1978. The University's flexible, American-style higher education attracted not only Americans, but students of many other nationalities as well. After the success of the Geneva campus, the University established five additional campuses: Vienna, Austria; Leiden, the Netherlands; Cha-Am/Hua Hin, Thailand; Accra, Ghana; Athens, Greece; Florence, Italy. Learn more.

The Office of Study Abroad (OSA) at Webster University–St. Louis administers Webster's Study Abroad Programs and is a resource to students studying abroad.

Back to top

 Where can I study abroad with Webster University?

As a study abroad student, you can study at our campuses in Geneva, Switzerland; Leiden, the Netherlands; Vienna, Austria; Bangkok (graduate) or Cha-am (undergraduate), Thailand; Accra, Ghana; and Athens, Greece.

Webster University undergraduate students can also take advantage of our affiliations with universities in China, Belgium, Spain, Germany, Japan, Italy, the UK, and Mexico. Additionally, Webster offers a number of faculty-led short-term programs that take students elsewhere throughout the world.

Back to top

Who can study abroad?

The Office of Study Abroad (OSA) accepts applications from all Webster University students as well as students from other U.S. colleges and universities (unless otherwise noted in the program).

 Back to top

When can I study abroad?

Both Webster and visiting students may study abroad with Webster for the fall or spring semester, an entire academic year, or a summer term. Many students choose to study abroad in their junior year, but undergraduate students are eligible to study abroad as early as the second semester of their freshman year as long as they have taken fifteen credit hours previously at Webster. Graduate students can study abroad after they have taken nine credit hours at Webster.

 Back to top

How do I apply?

Application instructions can be found from the How to Apply page. Students must submit a completed application to Office of Study Abroad by the deadlines listed below. Once submitted, applications are reviewed and applicants are notified via email of their application status. Please note: Incomplete applications will not be processed or reviewed until all materials have been submitted.

Semester/Term Application Open Deadline
Summer November 15 February 28
Fall November 15 March 30
Spring June 15 September 30


 Back to top

Do you offer short-term program options?

Yes, we do! Short-term faculty-led programs are offered throughout the world and vary each year. Deadlines for short-term programs are: Summer, March 15; Fall Break, April 15; and Spring Break, November 15. 

 Back to top

Can I study at more than one campus?

Yes, you can. Webster University encourages student mobility internationally. Study abroad experiences may last up to five 8-week terms (one academic year) for undergraduate students. Graduate students may study abroad for up to one semester (two 8-week terms). That means study abroad students can choose to study at more than one campus during an academic year. Study for a semester in Thailand and then in Geneva, for example. The combinations are endless!

 Back to top

Where will I live? Will Webster help me find housing?

Study Abroad students are required to live in campus housing. Students will be housed in dormitories and housing complexes both on and off campus with local university students and other Webster students.Graduate students at our Bangkok campuses will arrange their own housing accommodations with help from staff abroad. Webster University will not provide housing to family members, friends or dependents of Webster University study abroad students.

 Back to top

How will I pay for housing?

Students studying at Webster campuses will have housing billed to their student accounts. Graduate students studying in Thailand will pay in local currency on site. Students studying at an exchange institution (Germany, Spain, Japan, Mexico, and China), please see your advisor for more information. More details will be provided after acceptance into the program.

Back to top

 Is my degree program offered at the international campuses?

Some students will find that they can take major courses at their study abroad location.  Others may not. It is best to research the campus and the degree programs offered before applying.  To see a listing of Worldwide degree offerings click here. Also, you can visit each campus page's Course Offerings tab to see what is available.

 Back to top

What kinds of classes can I take?

In keeping with the teaching tradition of many private American universities, Webster University is proud of its small class sizes. The average class size is 15, with most classes having a limit of 20-25 students. Graduate classes normally meet once a week in the evenings, whereas undergraduate classes normally meet two or three times a week during the day. Coursework is rigorous and intensively paced so that classes can be completed in an eight-week or 16-week format. Attendance at all classes, field trips, and labs is required.

Because Webster University is a comprehensive institution, you can take classes in a broad range of disciplines and majors. Each campus also offers a number of context-based courses, courses that help you learn more about your local environment. This combination helps you to continue with the timely completion of your degree while engaging your host culture in the classroom. Visit the campus-specific web pages for information on tentative course offerings.

 Back to top

What are classes like?

Students at Webster's international campuses represent over 100 different nationalities and come from all over the world. There is no majority on campus when it comes to nationality--it's truly an international mix of students.

Students from the U.S. make up 15% or less of the total student body.Because Webster's campuses offer comprehensive undergraduate and graduate degree programs, most students at Webster's international campuses are earning their degrees at the campus you will be attending.

 Back to top

Who are the faculty members at Webster University?

Faculty members at Webster are accomplished teachers and academicians from around the world. In addition to demonstrated skill in teaching, Webster faculty members are leaders in their fields of expertise.

 Back to top

 How many credits can I take?

Study abroad students must be enrolled full-time while overseas. Undergraduate students are allowed to take 12 credit hours minimum and 18 credit hours maximum per semester.  Graduate students are allowed to take 6 credit hours minimum and 12 credit hours maximum per semester (3-6 per eight-week term).Courses are generally 3 credit hours each.

 Back to top

How will I register for courses?

 Final course schedules are typically released two months prior to departure. Once this happens, registration forms and schedules are sent out via email. Students must submit their completed registration form to Office of Study Abroad in order to be registered for the term abroad. Advisors cannot register students for courses taken abroad and there is no online registration.

 Back to top

I am a visiting student. Will credits earned at Webster transfer back to my home school?

In general, yes. Webster University is an accredited U.S. institution. All credits you earn at Webster will be reported on an official Webster University transcript. Hundreds of students study abroad with Webster each year, so it quite possible that your school has already received credits from Webster. Check with your home institution for specific policies on credit transfer.

Back to top

What if I do not speak the language of the location of an international Webster campus?

The main language at all Webster University international campuses is English. All classes are taught in English. The staff is bilingual in both English and the host language. At select campuses, language courses are available to assist you in engaging your local environment. While we do not require you to speak the language of your host country, we always encourage you to acquire basic knowledge before your departure.

For students wishing to study abroad at one of our international exchange partners, having at least a basic knowledge of the home language is either strongly recommended or a requirement. These international exchange are for students to study the local language and culture.

 Back to top

Is there an orientation?

St. Louis-based Webster students are also required to attend a pre-departure orientation session where they will recieve orientation packet with information necessary to students before the program start.

At the start of the program, each Webster University international campus has developed a thorough on-site orientation to help students acclimate to their new surroundings. Students will be introduced to campus policies and procedures, library, and local surroundings. Students are expected to arrive at their respective campus in time for the orientation and should arrange travel around the recommended arrival dates provided by the Webster University Office of Study Abroad (OSA) in St. Louis.

 Back to top

Does Webster offer financial aid?

Financial assistance from Webster University is limited to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are degree-seeking students at Webster. During the fall and spring semesters, Webster students retain their federal, state, and Webster funding while studying abroad through a Webster program with the exception of work study funds. Summer study abroad students may be eligible for federal aid (i.e., Pell Grant, Federal Direct Loans). Meet with your financial aid counselor to discuss the options available to you. All other students will need to check with their home institution. Please view the policy for study abroad students here.

 Back to top

What about health insurance?

Your health and safety are of the utmost concern to Webster University. All study abroad students are provided basic accident and sickness coverage while abroad on a Webster study abroad program through GeoBlue Health Insurance. This coverage is mandatory for all study abroad participants, and no exceptions will be made.

 Back to top

If I have a disability, can I study abroad?

Yes! All Webster students are encouraged to study abroad, and many do.  You will want to meet with a study abroad advisor and with a counselor in the Academic Resource Center, to discuss what accommodations you will need. For more information on disabilities and study abroad, please visit the ARC website.

 Back to top

Do I need a passport or a visa?

All study abroad students must hold a valid passport from the respective country of citizenship. If you currently hold a passport, please ensure that it will not expire while you are abroad. U.S. citizens can apply at the nearest local authorized passport acceptance facility (such as a post office) or through Department of State Passport Agency. The U.S. Department of State provides instructions on where and how to obtain a passport. Visas are required for some of our programs. If you plan to study abroad in a country that requires a student visa, you will be guided through the application process by the OSA staff. While the Office of Study Abroad will assist participants about procedures and requirements, securing a visa is an individual responsibility, and not one that OSA or Webster University can or will assume.

 Back to top

Can I work abroad?

Generally, students cannot work while study abroad. This is mainly due to visa regulations. Also, we encourage students to take advantage of their time overseas by focusing on their academics and enjoying their study abroad experience.  

Back to top

 What are good resources for while I'm studying abroad?

There are a variety of online resources available to you, which assist with planning your travel, managing finances, and understanding more about the customs and culture of the country you will visit. See below for a variety of great online resources:

  Back to top

How can I finish my degree abroad?

Degree programs vary by each international campus. Students interested in completing their entire degree overseas need to apply directly to the campus, or international program, in order to become accepted into a degree program.

Students interested in completing a degree at one of Webster's international campuses must contact that campus's Admissions Office for details on how to apply, and for assistance on the application process and other details. This information is available from each campus's website, accessible here.

Students interested in one of Webster University's Global Programs should visit those websites for Admissions contact information. Global Programs include the Global MA in International Relations and the Global MA in International Nongovernmental Organizations.

 Back to top

Will I need any vaccines to study abroad?

Studying abroad in Ghana requires proof of yellow fever vaccination. No other Webster campus locations require vaccines. Faculty-led programs may require vaccines, dependent on the location. We follow the updates and requirements from the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention.

 Back to top

Can I withdraw from the program?

Please visit the Program Withdrawal page to see the students' responsibilities.For more detail regarding add/drop/withdraw procedures and tuition, refer to the Academic Policies handbook.

Back to top