Travel and Visas | Webster University

Travel and Visas


All students studying abroad must possess a valid passport from their country of citizenship. The passport, of course, must not expire before the end of the period abroad; having a passport with an expiration date of six months after the period abroad is advisable. If you have not yet applied for your passport, visit the United States Postal Service website for details.


Students holding the US-citizenship do not need a study visa to enter Germany. Students who are not U.S. citizens may be required to procure a study visa for studying in Germany. Information can be obtained by contacting the German embassy or consulate.

Residence Permit

Students staying longer than 90 days in Germany need a residence permit. During the orientation program in Trier they will apply - assisted by the International Office of Trier University - for the permit. This permit is in the form of a visa that is affixed to the passport. The permit is called an Aufenthaltstitel. The residence permit fee is 50 Euros (payable only in cash) and is subject to change.


Please note: If you plan to study abroad in a country that requires a student visa, you will be guided through the application process by the OSA staff. While the Office of Study Abroad will assist participants about procedures and requirements, securing a visa is an individual responsibility, and not one that OSA or Webster University can or will assume. Webster University is not legally in a position to give any advice on applying for a visa. If you need further information, please direct your inquiries to the German consulate that serves your region.Visa fees, postage fees and/or travel fees to secure a student visa in person are the responsibility of the student.

If you need assistance with your visa application, you may seek help with a visa services company, typically for an additional fee. NAFSA: Association of International Educators recommends Perry International located in Chicago.

Arriving to Trier

By plane: Frankfurt Airport (FRA) is about 110 miles from Trier. It is one of the world's major airports. From the airport you can travel by train to Trier main station (“Hauptbahnhof”). Information on train connections can be found at

There is no direct connection from the train station at Frankfurt airport and Trier main station. Depending on your connection, you must change trains at least once.

An alternative to travelling by train is a bus connection from Frankfurt airport to Trier. You can find information on this bus route at