Travel and Visas | Webster University

Travel and Visas


All students studying abroad must possess a valid passport from their country of citizenship. If you have not yet applied for your passport, visit the United States Postal Service website for details.


Students are required to procure the proper visa for studying in the Spain. Information can be obtained by contacting the Spanish Embassy or your regional consulate. Students will have to visit the consulate in person at least once and should read very carefully the visa application instructions of the Spanish consulate and follow them thoroughly. Students are responsible for obtaining their own student visas and should apply for them as soon as possible. All visa applications require a single previous appointment in the Spanish consulate.

Consulate-General of Spain in Boston

Jurisdiction: Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Consulate-General of Spain in Chicago

Jurisdiction: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin

Consulate-General of Spain in Houston

Jurisdiction: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas

Consulate-General of Spain in Los Angeles

Jurisdiction: California (counties: Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Barbara y Ventura), Arizona, Colorado, Utah

Consulate-General of Spain in Miami

Jurisdiction: Florida, South Carolina, Georgia

Consulate-General of Spain in New York

Jurisdiction: New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey

Consulate-General of Spain in San Francisco

Jurisdiction: Alaska, Northern California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, US Pacific

Consulate General of Spain in Washington, D.C.

Jurisdiction: Maryland, Virginia, West Virgina, District of Columbia, North Carolina



Please note: If you plan to study abroad in a country that requires a student visa, you will be guided through the application process by the OSA staff. While the Office of Study Abroad will assist participants about procedures and requirements, securing a visa is an individual responsibility, and not one that OSA or Webster University can or will assume. Webster University is not legally in a position to give any advice on applying for a visa.If you need further information, please direct your inquiries to the Spanish consulate that serves your region. Visa fees, postage fees and/or travel fees to secure a student visa in person are the responsibility of the student.

If you need assistance with your visa application, you may seek help with a visa services company, typically for an additional fee. NAFSA: Association of International Educators recommends Perry International located in Chicago:


Arriving to Oviedo

Oviedo Train

If arrangements are made in advance, students will be met by a Universidad de Oviedo representative at the Asturias Airport. Airport pick-up is available on the days provided to you by your study abroad advisor. If you arrive on a different date you will not be provided with this service. You must provide Webster with a copy of your travel itinerary to ensure pick up.

By plane: Asturias Airport (OVD) is 30 miles from Oviedo and 25 miles from Gijón. It has flights operating to and from Madrid, Barcelona and a number of Europe's main capital cities.

For students not being picked up, there is an ALSA coach service (bus) that runs every hour between the airport and Oviedo. There are daily flights to Madrid Barajas International Airport linking the capital of Spain with Oviedo.