2016-2017 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2016 through 31 May 2017
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts/Department of Dance
Webster University's Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts Department of Dance provides excellence in training through both the BA and BFA degrees. The Department trains skilled, creative, and compassionate thinking artists for 21st century careers as performers, choreographers, and educators.
- Performance: Perform a variety of techniques and styles with a broad spectrum of expressivity and quality technical expertise.
- Choreography: Create and produce imaginative, original, thought provoking choreographic work
- Teaching: Create and execute exemplary, innovative lesson plans for a variety of ages, techniques and populations; develop skills to communicate movement vocabulary to others.
- Integrate and successfully utilize knowledge from courses in the breadth of the discipline.
- Function effectively in a variety of professional contexts, displaying global awareness through intrapersonal, interpersonal, collaborative, and technological skills.
Courses completed with a grade of D do not count toward fulfilling the specific course requirements of the major.
Acceptance to the Department of Dance as a degree-seeking student, BA or BFA is by audition and consists of the following:
- An interview to discuss career goals and past history
- Submission of résumé
- Performance of approximately three minutes of choreography
- Participation in a Ballet and Modern Technique Class
A minimum of 128 credit hours consisting of the following:
- 59 required credit hours
- Applicable university global citizenship
- DANC 2000-OR 3000-level applied dance, Ballet or Modern (5 hours)
- DANC 3000-OR 4000-level applied dance, Ballet or Modern (3 hours)
- DANC 3000-level applied dance, Ballet (6 hours)
- DANC 3000-level applied dance, Modern (6 hours)
- DANC 2000- level applied dance, Tap (4 hours)
or DANC 3000- Level applied dance, Jazz (4 hours)
or MUTH 2410/3410 (Musical Theatre Dance Styles I or II) (4 hours)
- DANC 1040 International Dance (3 hours)
- DANC 1220 Improvisation I (2 hours)
- DANC 1310, 1320 Composition I (6 hours)
- DANC 1410 Introduction to Professional Dance I (2 hours)
- DANC 1550 Stagecraft for Dance I (1 hour)
- DANC 1560 Stagecraft for Dance II (1 hour)
- DANC 2210 Dance History: Lineage Based to 20th Century (3 hours)
- DANC 2520 Living Anatomy and Movement (3 hours)
- DANC 3150 Performance Techniques I (2 hours)
- DANC 3210 Dance History: 20th Century to Present (3 hours)
- DANC 4400 Dance Pedagogy (3 hours)
- DANC 4210 BA Capstone (3 hours)
- DANC 4410 Dance Seminar (0 hours)
- MUSC 1000 Fundamentals of Musicianship (3 hours)
Recommended Electives for the BA or BFA in Dance
- ANTH 1100 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (3 hours)
- BUSN 1200 Introduction to Business (3 hours)
- Foreign Languages
- ENGL 2150 Creative Writing: Poetry (3 hours)
- HIST 1100 World Civilizations Before 1500 (3 hours)
- PHOT 1000 Photo I (3 hours)
- PHIL 1010 Introduction to Critical Thinking (3 hours)
- PSYC 1100 Introduction to Psychology (3 hours)
- FTVP 1000 Introduction to Film, Television, and Video Production (3 hours)
- WGST 1010 Studying Women Across the Disciplines (3 hours)