Accreditation and Memberships
DRAFT 2017-2018 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2017 through 31 May 2018
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
Webster University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604, hlcommission.org • 800.621.7440.
The accreditation, which was awarded in 1925, includes undergraduate and graduate levels at all locations where the University offers programs.
The Missouri Department of Higher Education serves as a clearinghouse for postsecondary student complaints. The MDHE complaint policy contains information about the complaint process and includes instructions for how to file a formal complaint. The policy provides that a student who wishes to file a complaint with the department must first exhaust all formal and informal avenues provided by the institution to resolve disputes.
Licensure/Approvals and Specialized Accreditation
Master's degree programs at Luke AFB are licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education. If a complaint or grievance cannot be resolved after exhausting the institution's grievance procedure, the student may file a complaint with the Arizona State Board of Private Postsecondary Education. The student must contact the State Board for further details.
Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education
1400 West Washington, Room 260
Phoenix, AZ 85007
The campuses at Little Rock, Little Rock Air Force Base, Fort Smith, and Fayetteville are certified by the Arkansas Department of Higher Education. Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board certification does not constitute an endorsement of any institution, course or degree program. Such certification merely indicates that certain minimum standards have been met under the rules and regulations of institutional certification as defined in Arkansas Code §6-61-301. The student should be aware that these degree programs may not transfer. The transfer of course/degree credit is determined by the receiving institution.
"Notice of Student Rights" in California: You may cancel your contract for school, without any penalty or obligations, by the fifth business day following your first class as described in the Notice of Cancellation form that will be given to you. Read the Notice of Cancellation form for any explanation of your cancellation rights and responsibilities. If you have lost your Notice of Cancellation form, ask the school for a sample copy. After the end of the cancellation period, you also have the right to stop school at any time, and you have the right to receive a refund for the part of the course not taken. Your refund rights are described in the contract. If you have lost your contract, ask the school for a description of the refund policy. If the school closes before you graduate, you may be entitled to a refund.
If you have any complaints, questions, or problems which you cannot work out with the school, write or call:
Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education
P.O. Box 980818
West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818
The metropolitan campus at Colorado Springs is authorized to offer master's degrees by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education.
District of Columbia
Master's degree programs at Bolling AFB in Washington, D.C., are licensed by the District of Columbia Educational Institution Licensure Commission.
Master's degree programs at the metropolitan campuses in Orlando, Jacksonville, Lakeland, Merritt Island, Ocala, Melbourne, Tampa Bay, and at NAS Jacksonville are licensed by the Florida Commission for Independent Education. Credits and degrees earned from colleges licensed by this board do not automatically qualify the holder to participate in professional licensing examinations in the State of Florida. Any person interested in practicing a regulated profession in Florida should contact the appropriate state regulatory agency.
For further information about the status of Webster University's programs in Florida, contact:
Florida Department of Education
Commission for Independent Education
325 West Gaines Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
Phone: 888-224-6684 (Toll free)
In accordance with GNPEC requirements, any monies paid by a Georgia resident to a Webster University representative will be refunded to the student if he/she requests the same within three (3) business days of signing an enrollment contract with the university. If no enrollment contract is signed, and if requested by the student, any monies paid will be refunded to the student if he/she requests the same within three (3) business days after making a payment. Webster University's Grievance Policy & Procedures are available online at http://www.webster.edu/student-handbook/grievance.html. Students have the right of appeal of the final institutional decision to Georgia's Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission at:
Non-Public Postsecondary Education Commission
2082 East Exchange Place Suite 220
Tucker, Georgia 30084-5305
Office hours: 8:30-4:30 (Monday to Friday)
The master's degree programs at Great Lakes Naval Base and Scott Air Force Base are approved by the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
The metropolitan campus at Kansas City, MO is approved by the Kansas Board of Regents.
Kansas Board of Regents
1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612-1368
It is the mutual goal of the Kansas Board of Regents and the certified institutions
to provide quality educational training and programs. When problems arise, students
should make every attempt to find a fair and reasonable solution by taking the steps
outlined in the complaint process.
The metropolitan campus at Louisville is licensed by the Kentucky Council on Post-Secondary Education.
Webster University was approved by the Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina and has been issued a regular license to offer graduate degree programs at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, NC and at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, NC. Webster will be required to complete an annual report and is subject to annual reviews.
University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road
P.O. Box 2688
Chapel Hill, NC 27515
The metropolitan campuses in Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach are licensed by the:
SC Commission on Higher Education
1122 Lady Street, Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
Licensure is not an endorsement or guarantee of quality. If students at the Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach Metropolitan Campuses have complaints about a classroom situation, they should first attempt to resolve the situation with the instructor. If resolution cannot be made with the instructor, or if the complaint is about a general school policy over which the instructor has no jurisdiction, then they may contact the school director for mediation. If the complaint cannot be resolved at the school level through its complaint procedure, students may file a complaint with the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education. The complaint form is available at http://www.che.sc.gov/CHE_Docs/AcademicAffairs/License/Complaint_procedures_and_form.pdf.
Webster University is authorized by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission. This authorization must be renewed each year and is based on an evaluation by minimum standards concerning quality of education, ethical business practices, health and safety, and fiscal responsibility.
Webster University is certified to operate by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). If a student has any complaints, questions or problems which were not resolved by the school to your satisfaction, you may contact:
State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV)
101 N. 14th Street
Richmond, VA 23219
- Business and Management programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Music programs and degrees are fully accredited and approved by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- Nursing programs and degrees are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing.
- The nursing anesthesia program is accredited by the Council of Accreditation (COA) of nurse anesthesia educational programs.
- Education programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- Webster University is registered for state teachers' certificates by the Department of Education of the State of Missouri.
- MA in Early Childhood Education and MAT in Early Childhood Education programs received recognition from the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- MA in Reading received recognition from the International Reading Association (IRA).
- MA in Teaching English as a Second Language received recognition from the Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
- EdS in Educational Leadership, online and face-to-face programs, received recognition from the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) of the National Policy Board for Education Administration (NPBEA).
- EdS in School Systems, Superintendency and Leadership received recognition from the Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC) of the National Policy Board for Education Administration (NPBEA).
- Only the St. Louis campus' legal studies in BA, MA and paralegal certificates are approved by the American Bar Association (ABA)
- The MA in Counseling, Clinical Mental Health emphasis, (Webster Groves, MO only) is accredited by the council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- Webster University is registered as an Approved Continuing Education Partner (ACEP) with the National Board for Certified Counselors, Inc (NBCC).
International Accreditation and Recognitions
- China: The Webster University MBA program, offered in partnership with the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics (SUFE) and the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC), is officially recognized by the Ministry of Education in China.
- Ghana: Webster University Ghana is fully accredited by the National Accreditation Board of Ghana.
- Greece: Webster University, through its Athens Campus, Webster Athens, has been accredited/licensed by the Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs of the Hellenic Republic to operate in Hellas [Greece] under permit 127051/K1/01.08.2016 [Government Gazette 2585/B/22.08.2016].
- Thailand: Webster University in Thailand is accredited as a private university by the Thailand Ministry of Education under Thai law.
- Austria: Webster University in Vienna is accredited by the Austrian Ministry for Science and Research as a private university under Austrian law.
- The Netherlands: Selected Webster University programs in the Netherlands are accredited by the Netherlands-Flemish Accreditation Agency (NVAO). Webster is an approved institute of higher education under Dutch law.
Webster University holds membership in the following organizations or associations:
- American Association for Paralegal Education
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE)
- American Council on Education
- ASIS International
- Association of American College and University Programs in Switzerland
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
- Association of Theatre in Higher Education
- College Art Consortium
- College Board
- College Consortium for International Studies
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL)
- Council of Independent Colleges (CIC)
- Council on International Educational Exchange
- Educational Theatre Association
- Higher Education Council of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Independent Colleges and Universities of Missouri
- Institute of International Education
- International Council of Fine Arts Deans
- Missouri Music Educators Association
- National Education Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
Webster University has a signed Department of Defense (DoD) Voluntary Partnership Education Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), showing the commitment and value that Webster University places on the school's relationship with the military and providing military members with high quality educational services. Webster University recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle and has committed itself to easing the transfer of relevant course credits, providing flexible academic residency requirements, and crediting learning from appropriate military training and experiences.
Graduates of Webster University are eligible for membership in the American Association of University Women and the American College of Healthcare Executives (HCHE).
The University also holds appropriate licensure, accreditations, or approvals within the recognized state approval agencies for all locations where Webster University offers programs.