History majors and minors at Webster University learn not only the outlines of modern history, but also how to make well-constructed historical arguments, and how to research and analyze relevant historical work within multiple academic fields. History at Webster is not about memorizing dates and events, but about exploring who we are and engaging with the experience of others. History students learn to evaluate evidence and make persuasive arguments based on facts. They use the past to think creatively about the present.
Webster history courses tell exciting stories — about struggles for freedom, contests for power, changes in identity and social relations — but they also prepare students for careers where information gathering and analysis is crucial.
Choose Webster for Your Degree in History
- Because history at Webster is in a combined department, all of our students do interdisciplinary work, engaging with political science, international relations and human rights.
- Webster's campuses in Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Ghana and the Netherlands provide unique and exciting offerings in world history.
- With all classes smaller than 25 students, history majors always learn in a seminar atmosphere, with personalized attention from the faculty.
- Webster history professors are active scholars, widely recognized in their fields.
Bachelor of Arts in History
Find out more about the overall curriculum, electives and learning outcomes for a BA in History degree at Webster.
History Alumni Work in a Range of Professions
Students who graduate with a degree in history establish careers in a variety of fields, including government, law, journalism, academia and nonprofit management.
Webster History alumni have found success in a number of careers:
- Historic Preservation Specialist, State of New Jersey Historic Trust
- Superintendent of State Historic Sites, State of Illinois
- Curator of Local History, Special Collections, Washington University Library
- Attorneys, private practice
- Teachers, public and private schools
- United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees
- Communications Specialist, Research Institute
- International Business Consultant
- Volunteer, Peace Corps
Get Started on Your Program
Take the next step toward earning your degree. We are here to help.